The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Grgich Hills Visit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Grgich Hills Visit

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Visited Grgich Hills on Sunday-it's been quite a while but I really enjoyed their (pricey) Yountville Selection Cabernet so I wanted to see what was up. Good tasting room experience despite the crowds. The highlights for me were:

2007 Fume Blanc. I thought this was outstanding for a California Sauvignon Blanc, with layers of flavor (including grapefruit) and lovely acidity. Smoothed out by the oak aging. I would buy this.

2006 Zinfandel. The "regular" bottling from near Calistoga. This was also very good. Warm in character and mouth feel, with dark berry fruit, chocolate, black pepper, and a ton of earthyness. No jammy sweetness, this is definitely on the earthy/savory side. No cough syrup here. I would buy this. I'll be honest, everyone raves about foothills and Dry Creek zins, but I am really enjoying a lot of the remaining old vine Napa Valley zinfandels.

The Cabernet and Merlot were OK, but showing a ton of bell pepper right at the moment. They might come around in a few years?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Grgich Hills Visit

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Visited Grgich Hills on Sunday-it's been quite a while but I really enjoyed their (pricey) Yountville Selection Cabernet so I wanted to see what was up. Good tasting room experience despite the crowds. The highlights for me were:

2007 Fume Blanc. I thought this was outstanding for a California Sauvignon Blanc, with layers of flavor (including grapefruit) and lovely acidity. Smoothed out by the oak aging. I would buy this.

2006 Zinfandel. The "regular" bottling from near Calistoga. This was also very good. Warm in character and mouth feel, with dark berry fruit, chocolate, black pepper, and a ton of earthyness. No jammy sweetness, this is definitely on the earthy/savory side. No cough syrup here. I would buy this. I'll be honest, everyone raves about foothills and Dry Creek zins, but I am really enjoying a lot of the remaining old vine Napa Valley zinfandels.

The Cabernet and Merlot were OK, but showing a ton of bell pepper right at the moment. They might come around in a few years?

I love Grgich's Sauv Blancs--wish they weren't so pricey. They're sold up here, but they're $30ish.

Is Mike Grgich still molesting young women? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Jenise wrote:
I love Grgich's Sauv Blancs--wish they weren't so pricey. They're sold up here, but they're $30ish.

Not a question that occurred to me to ask :shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Jenise wrote:

He had quite a reputation and more than his share of harrassment lawsuits. He's probably dead now; he was no spring chicken when the last scandal surfaced. Seemed to be one of those things that everybody in the Valley knew about.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Nope. Still kicking.

He's in his late eighties, though.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Jenise wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:
Jenise wrote:

He had quite a reputation and more than his share of harrassment lawsuits. He's probably dead now; he was no spring chicken when the last scandal surfaced. Seemed to be one of those things that everybody in the Valley knew about.

Mike is probably still chasing even if he catches some maiden he wouldn't remember what to do with her.
The last lawsuit was settled out of court a few years ago and it goes down in the valley that it cost him a pretty penny.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:07 pm

I was last there in 1989 and I think I asked Grgich to sign a bottle, now empty, which he did. A small section of my cellar is for signed bottles. I'll have to go see what is was. I enjoyed talking with him, as I do most owners/growers.