The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Regnie and base level GV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Regnie and base level GV

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Sunday we were in the city for a memorial service for a friend/employee, when we got back Betsy made a fast dish of chicken, soba, broccoli rabe, and pepper. I opened the 2007 Hirsch Gruner Veltliner #1. Nice enough, plum fruit with a hint of pea (because I was looking for pea or white pepper!), light to medium bodied, just a hint of sweetness. Fine, though not looking for especially looking to reload. B/B-

We're hosting Betsy's niece and nephew for a couple days while their parents are away, so Monday I stayed for part of Little League game before heading home to throw some Copper River sockeye (very good for $11 at Costco) along with some squash on the grill, to be accompanied by baby bok choy, daikon pickles, and rice with furikake. Wine was the 2007 Christian Ducroux Regnie. New producer to me, and I have little sense of Regnie compared to the more famous crus, but I bought it just because CSW carried it. I'm actually pretty disappointed at first, I didn't expect a fruit bomb, but this is pretty close to fruitless at first - some soil and chalkiness, with just a little cranky raspberry fruit. By the time the salmon is off grill, some deeper berry fruit shows up. Not a wine I'd call fruity, but no longer fruitless. Really gets some character with air, damp earth and a Loire-like gunflint note. C+ on opening, but B+ after a while (but not the wine to convert a fan of California PN to the wonders of Gamay!).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Regnie and base level GV

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Hmm, I've been eyeing both of these. Any idea of the differences betrween the different Hirsch numbers one sees around?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Any idea of the differences betrween the different Hirsch numbers one sees around?

How many different Hirsch numbers do you see? The Theise catalogue only mentions this one.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Hirsch Gruner Veltliner #1 is a specific name for a specific wine. There are no other "numbers."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:46 pm

OK, I was pretty sure I had seen a #7, must be a 7 that looks like a 1 to me. Never mind! :oops:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Tomorrow is recycling day, just looked at bottle. Yup, the 1 is very stylized -could easily be mistaken for a 7 (the actual 7 in 2007 has the bar through it).
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:43 am

Sorry for chiming in so late.

Over here, the full name is "Hirsch Trinkvergnügen #1" (joy of drinking #1), and it's Johannes Hirsch's earliest and most basic bottling of Grüner Veltliner.

As has been said, there are no other numbered wines in the Hirsch range.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam