The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rosenblum vs. Cou de Beaucastel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Rosenblum vs. Cou de Beaucastel

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 am

Went out to dinner with friends at a local haunt we usually take our own wine to, and I took two wines that I didn't think I still had but discovered this weekend when I was doing some cellar management. In both cases, had I known I had them I'd have made a point of drinking them earlier and gifting them away respectively, but as it turns out in both cases I'm glad they escaped earlier elimination.

2002 Coudelet de Beaucastel
Now you know why I didn't think I still had this--who bought 02's in the first place, and who hung onto them this long? Where this wouldn't be anybody's idea of a great Rhone, for an 02 it's showing particularly well. Light to medium red color, it's an aging CdP Lite and almost beaujolais-ish--tasty red fruit, tea, orange rind. Tannins are mostly resolved but it still has good acidity, and it was an excellent food wine that went surprisingly well with everybody's seafood dishes. I saved the following for after dinner:

2003 Rosenblum Syrah, England-Shaw Vineyard, Solano County

Several years ago, in a fit of affection for the Rosenblums I used to love I bought this wine from afar only to find out when I opened the first bottle that I had purchased an almost-16% liquid blueberry clafouti. Time has been good to it: it has shed the custurdy blue baby fat, and the acidity that wasn't apparent before gives it a fresher, black fruit kind of balance with a sweet lemonade tang, a hint of sage and some interesting secondary nuances starting to develop. The alcohol, though still evident is less problematic, and if I had just one more bottle I'd bet on it reaching it's peak in about three years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Re: WTN: Rosenblum vs. Cou de Beaucastel

by MikeH » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 am

Jenise,

Your note re: the Coudelet caught my attention. I checked, have an '01 in the cellar. Any experience with that vintage?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:02 am

Tea and orange rind - sounds like a wine close to death
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:43 am

MikeH wrote:Jenise,

Your note re: the Coudelet caught my attention. I checked, have an '01 in the cellar. Any experience with that vintage?

We used to buy the Coudelet by the case and 2001 was pretty decent (way better than 2002 which was a horror show for some producers in the Rhone). The 2001 was drinking fine a couple of years ago and should still be nice bottle.

my .02

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Tea and orange rind - sounds like a wine close to death

No, it was more red fruit than the other things, but in a good place and no longer primary.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov