The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Albert Morot Corton-Bressandes Premier Cru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2004 Albert Morot Corton-Bressandes Premier Cru

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 am

WTN: 2004 Albert Morot Corton-Bressandes Premier Cru 13.0%
Elegant and almost opulent aromas of cherry and sousbois with a touch of greenies, except pleasant, not mean. So must be eucalyptus, not ladybugs. But marred by an excessive and slightly weird layer of vanilla flan that I don't remember finding in this wine before. The mouth feel is also different, almost chewy, practically creamy, though with an attractive frame of light tannins. Marcia doesn't get the vanilla flan, invoking olfactory question marks inside them little cartoon clouds hovering above our heads. The vanilla ends up marring the wine for me, so I wonder if there was some bacteriological thing going on that I'm sensitive to but not she. That might also explain the sensation of chewy creaminess, of trembling jellied frothy curd ( :wink: ). Ten years from now, I'll just aim my spectrograph at the liquid and get a report on any anomalous critters, but for now I am left in the oenological lurch.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 Albert Morot Corton-Bressandes Premier Cru

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 am

Vanilla=bacteriological? How about oak?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Vanilla=bacteriological? How about oak?

That's one of my suspects, perhaps a vanilla compromised by a poorly seasoned (if new) or poorly steamed (if old) barrel, but this kind of defect, if present, is maddeningly elusive.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:47 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:That might also explain the sensation of chewy creaminess, of trembling jellied frothy curd ( :wink: )

Interesting, I never associated the creaminess in the same family as the jelly notes. But, we each dig our own tasting descriptor world.. :wink: