The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Miracle at Schroon River

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Miracle at Schroon River

by Covert » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:02 pm

I am having a heck of a time with my joints. My cartilage completely ran out in my shoulders and hips almost simultaneously, rendering me a virtual invalid. Had one hip done and have three limbs yet to go. Can hardly even move my right arm at all. Three years ago, at 62 years of age, while on the road all the time, I was lifting remarkable poundages at gyms, showing off for my old age and thin body. A real ego booster. Now I would have trouble beating up a thirteen-year-old, which would be the last thing I would want to do, but just to give you a gauge.

I wear hearing aids, now, due to too much plinking in my youth. Makes me look old, but Lynn (my wife) thinks they are sexy. When she puts her cheek against mine, she says she can hear better herself.

I am losing my cognitive capabilities, partially from the general anesthesia, probably, but a lifetime of drinking hasn’t helped. Can’t even think of sensible retorts to Hoke’s abuse. :) And work is getting harder and harder.

I am the invisible man. Ralph Ellison popularized the concept racially, but he wasn’t old, or he wouldn’t have been so selective. Girls simply don’t look at me anymore, or remember me the third time I rent a car from the same one and say the cutest things I can think of to make an impression.

On Friday, Lynn and I dined at the Gristmill, a lovely little restaurant on the Schroon River in the Adirondack Park. Our waitress was just starting to show some age, somewhere in her late 40’s, and she was beautiful, with some real character in her face. As I sat down, I asked her to please bring us some wine before she did anything else. As though I were invisible and inaudible, she started reading the specials.

I said, “Did you hear what I said?” She was taken aback and went off to fetch some wine, after I explained what we wanted. Lynn angrily told me that I was totally out of line, and that she almost told me in front of the waitress, except she did not want to exacerbate the situation.

When the waitress returned, I said I was sorry for being abrupt and that I realized how bad I had sounded. She looked at me squarely in the eyes with an even expression and said nothing. She was a superior human being to me. And perhaps the best waitress I have ever had, or at least second to none other. She handled the bottle, the cork, the pouring with five-star perfection. She had obviously waited elsewhere.

I mention this because it is very important not to take out the frustration of aging on others, which so many old folks do. This is a lesson I learned possibly forever, thanks to the expression on the waitresses face when I apologized.

I ordered a bottle of 2003 Chateau Trimoulet, an inexpensive Saint-Emilion. It was absolutely delicious. I think the poor storage aged it precociously. Beautiful animal and earth notes and very clean, even classic. And our raven haired waitress was ever so attentive and correct, and began to meet my eyes with a faint, intimate, Gatsby smile, as though she understood me and still liked me. I tried to return the favor. Lynn thought she was about the best ever, too.

We watched the river flow and could not have been at a better place or a better time. For me, Bordeaux makes this possible. The commodity that improves with age helps those of age improve with it. Miraculous.
Last edited by Covert on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Miracle at Schroon River

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 am

Thank you for that sad and melancholic report, with the bittersweet ring of truth. The (by now trademark) Covert sexuality has never looked more worthy of compassion.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:23 am

Covert,

Sorry to hear about your failing joints. I am not a Doctor but have personally had good luck with a combination of MSM and Glucosamine Chrondroitin. It is sold over the counter and really gave me some much needed relief in a bad knee and shoulder.

Good for you for apologizing to the server. She really should have acknowledged and accepted your apology and realized that we all have bad days.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Dave R wrote:Covert,

Sorry to hear about your failing joints. I am not a Doctor but have personally had good luck with a combination of MSM and Glucosamine Chrondroitin. It is sold over the counter and really gave me some much needed relief in a bad knee and shoulder.

Good for you for apologizing to the server. She really should have acknowledged and accepted your apology and realized that we all have bad days.

Thanks a lot, Dave, for your empathy. But unfortunately the treatments you mention won't do any good anymore because I have no cartilage at all. Just bone grinding against bone, causing ball joints to become flats. I just have to get them replaced and realize I can't be as active as I once was. But it will alleviate most or all of the pain.

You would have had to have been there, but the fact that the waitress looked me squarely in the eyes without change of expression communicated that she both heard my apology and acknowledged that it was appropriate. Lightening up to me in the next visit said I had been forgiven. I was very impressed with how the woman handled me. Very authentically.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:41 pm

I mention this because it is very important not to take out the frustration of aging on others, which so many old folks do. This is a lesson I learned possibly forever, thanks to the expression on the waitresses face when I apologized.

I won't mention that since it's old age we're discussing here, you are in fact doomed to forget what you learned and repeat the offense sooner than you think. :)

But this reminds me of the myriad times that I, in my 20's, sat rigid with embarrassment in a restaurant in which my father, in his 60's, had just been curt or childish with a server. But unlike you, unable to recognize or admit to his doddering impatience, the smallest irritation often escalated to the point of anger that the restaurant became yet another on an evergrowing list he wouldn't, or couldn't, go back to. Yet it wasn't all that many years before that comely waitresses at his favorite hangouts fought to get his table. And these were popular restaurants that we could go to and get seated immediately at even without a reservation, while throngs waited an hour or more for tables. I hope I am not going to be like him, though already I know that my patience has declined over the years at approximately the same rate at which I'm willing to be 'uncool' rather than suffer, so perhaps my heritage will explode like a time bomb some day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov