The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Foolish grin-inducing wines: Čotar, Lapierre, Blanes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Foolish grin-inducing wines: Čotar, Lapierre, Blanes

by Saina » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Čotar Sauvignon Blanc 2004 - Slovenia, Primorska, Kras (label)

12,8% abv. Back label: "Nature friendly, macerated, sulphor (sic!) free fermentation, natural cellar temperature. No added encymes (sic!) or selected yeast. Unfiltered." Lovely orange colour, slightly cloudy due to lack of filtration. A wonderful scent, very "natural", so not to everyone's taste. It doesn't really smell like Sauvignon, but rather transcended the limitations of the grape to become something worthy of contemplation. It smells earthy, lifted and coppery. It tastes as if it were alive; it tastes electric, deep and tangy. It grips my attention and palate. Awesome wine!

Marcel Lapierre Vin de Pays de Gaules 2007 ( label )

12,5%; screw cap. Light red. Beautiful scent of red fruit that retains its brightness and slight tartness despite its sweetness. It also has a lovely savoury scent that reminds me of game birds' blood! Quite full body for what was supposed to have been a light Beaujolais, lively, thirst quenching acidity. Very natural and light on its feet. Much more substantial than I expected. Very nice! What is this bottling, though? I thought it was sourced from Morgon, so why isn't it labeled Morgon?

(d.) de Blanes Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes Le Clot Rouge 2007 Roussillon ( label)

12,5% abv; Roughly half and half Syrah and Grenache with a touch of Carignan. The fruit was wonderfully ripe. And I really mean that - this wasn't over-ripe, but optimally ripe, with a refreshingly low abv for a Southern wine. The scent still has a little lactic aroma to it that I am not too fond of, but everything else about the wine is wonderful. Only Texier's S. Rhônes have interested me as much when it comes to S. Rhône blends. Dark fruit, some garrigue, bright and red fruit rather than dark fruit and sucrosity. Full body, extraordinary liveliness for the South, great grip. Do lactic/yogurt aromas disappear with age? If so, I think this will be wonderful. If not, this is "only" very good.

(d.) de Blanes Maury 2006 ( label )

16,5% abv. IIRC, from Grenache vines of extreme age (c.100 years). This smells of strawberry and good, unlit Cuban cigar. Fully sweet, but not cloying. It is low in acidity but the tannins are wonderfully refreshing. Long. An optimal sweet wine in every way except for it being so primary.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Foolish grin -inducing wines: Čotar, Lapierre, Blanes

by Tim York » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Some nice original wines there, Otto; well worth seeking out.

Otto Nieminen wrote:Marcel Lapierre Vin de Pays de Gaules 2007 ( label )

12,5%; screw cap. Light red. Beautiful scent of red fruit that retains its brightness and slight tartness despite its sweetness. It also has a lovely savoury scent that reminds me of game birds' blood! Quite full body for what was supposed to have been a light Beaujolais, lively, thirst quenching acidity. Very natural and light on its feet. Much more substantial than I expected. Very nice! What is this bottling, though? I thought it was sourced from Morgon, so why isn't it labeled Morgon?

I tasted a Lapierre Morgon 07 on Saturday and it had that aroma which I have found on his wines before but which I struggle to describe. I think that you have it with "game birds' blood" and I find a touch of tomato there too. I'll write a brief TN tomorrow along with the others tasted.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:34 pm

The Cotar sounds like what Courtois Quartz is supposed to be if one can find one that isn't spoiled...

Never saw this Lapierre bottling before, but glad to hear that he's using screwcaps, at least for some of his wine! Hope it spreads.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I thought it was sourced from Morgon, so why isn't it labeled Morgon?

Just a guess, but maybe something in the vinification didn't qualify for the AOC? Or maybe he just didn't care..
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:I thought it was sourced from Morgon, so why isn't it labeled Morgon?

Just a guess, but maybe something in the vinification didn't qualify for the AOC? Or maybe he just didn't care..

Yup that sounds logical with all the other news from the area. But I haven't seen any confirmation of this anywhere. I did find out that this bottling is partly from bought grapes rather than from vines that Lapierre owns. Would that matter, though, if they are all from Morgon?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:29 pm

The word I got from a wine merchant today who supposedly knows what is behind the Pays de Gaules bottling is that some of the (negoce) grapes are from outside the Morgon AOC.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Foolish grin-inducing wines: Čotar, Lapierre, Blanes

by Saina » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Good to know, thanks Rahsaan!