The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Back to real wine; Chinon, Saumur-C; CC; GV.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Back to real wine; Chinon, Saumur-C; CC; GV.

by Tim York » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:26 am

After a lot of full, sweet fruited, thick textured and highly perfumed wines with soft structure, it was a pleasure to return this week to real wine, even if none were really outstanding examples. By “real” I mean wines of a more savoury character, clear focus, lively acidity and firm structure and, above all, a sense of place.

Chinon “Les Grézeaux” 2001 – Bernard Baudry – Alc. 12.5% - was quite light in colour and body but showed a fragrance of fine Darjeeling tea allied to some raspberry and delicate but noticeable structure, minerals, fine acidity and good length; 15.5/20++.

Saumur-Champigny “Les Cards” 1995 – René-Noël Legrand – Alc. 12.5% - was much more robust but with some of the same raspberry and fine tea notes combined with clay, vanilla hints and very tangy wet leather (which I love but many may dislike) and still firm tannins but no longer green and drying as with many 95s; 16.5/20+.

Chianti Classico “Castello di Mona Lisa” Riserva 1999 – Villa Vignamaggio – Alc. 13% - was a touch disappointing. Body was quite full and the fruit was richer and less acidity and minerals than often with CC and there was authentic Chianti tang and structure but also traces of a parasite flavour reminiscent of cabbages which were disappearing by the last glass. Was this a bad interaction with the pesto sauce or a sort of reduction? 15/20 as served.

Wösendorfer Kollmütz Grüner Veltliner Smaragd 2007 – Rudi Pichler – Alc. 13.5% still does not lead me to understand all the fuss about GV, which apparently can “beat” Montrachet. It was full, robust quite deep and generous, rather than focussed, with blooming aromas reminiscent of apples and pears and structured with a warm finish but quite low on acidity. This was a wine which, unlike many, benefited from being further cooled to give it some of the freshness not contributed by acidity. Perhaps age is needed to contribute complexity and refinement; 15.5/20.

The Grenache dominated Coteaux du Languedoc Pic Saint-Loup “L’Olivette” 2006 – Clos Marie – Alc.13.5% - naturally showed sweeter dark fruit and fuller body than the previous reds but also enough tang, savoury meat hints, minerals, herbs and structure for balance; 15.5/20+.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Back to real wine; Chinon, Saumur-C; CC; GV.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:18 am

Two wines stand out for me. The Baudry obviously plus the Languedoc, especially as it is Pic St Loup!
Tim, have you tried the `05 from Baudry yet?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:40 am

I have tried the Baudry Domaine 05 which is really excellent. There is a WTN somewhere.
Tim York
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:54 am

I'm afraid that I would lhave backed off from a wine called "Château de Mona Lisa" instinctively just because of the name!
They don't have "châteaux" in Italy, and they don't say Mona Lisa either (La Gioconda).
Mind you, they have châteaux in California too, including the laughable "Château Boswell"!

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:17 am

AlexR wrote:I'm afraid that I would lhave backed off from a wine called "Château de Mona Lisa" instinctively just because of the name!They don't have "châteaux" in Italy, .

But he didn't say Chateau, he said Castello, and there are dozens of "Castello di" wineries in Tuscany, including some stars.

The Baudry sounds like my kind of wine/
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 am

Tim York wrote:Wösendorfer Kollmütz Grüner Veltliner Smaragd 2007 – Rudi Pichler – Alc. 13.5% still does not lead me to understand all the fuss about GV, which apparently can “beat” Montrachet. It was full, robust quite deep and generous, rather than focussed...

I don't know that particular wine and I don't know the extent of your experience with GV, but as always it can take a lot of tasting to get a handle on the grape.

That said, some of the bigger (i.e. Smaragd) examples - especially from the Wachau - do tend towards the full deep and generous side and can come in with more alcohol than chardonnay. Although of course the nicest examples are still quite focused.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:05 am

Opps, you're right Dale about castello!
But, boy, selling a Mona Lisa wine...

There's a Leonardo Da Vinci one too.

Alex R.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 am

AlexR wrote:I'm afraid that I would lhave backed off from a wine called "Château de Mona Lisa" instinctively just because of the name!
They don't have "châteaux" in Italy, and they don't say Mona Lisa either (La Gioconda).
Mind you, they have châteaux in California too, including the laughable "Château Boswell"!

Best regards,
Alex R.

Steady on, Alex. Mona Lisa (or la Gioconda) was born at Villa Vignamaggio. It is an enchanting place, where we stayed for a few nights some years ago http://www.vignamaggio.com/index-english.html .

Incidentally they produce a rare cuvée made from old Cabernet franc vines, perhaps the best of their range.
Tim York
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 am

Hmmm.
Maybe the wine is better than the kitschy name - which, not everyone finds kitschy, I see!

Alex R.