The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Winemaking Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Winemaking Question

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:52 am

It often improves a wine that's fermented out to add a little sugar (with sorbate) before bottling. Always attracted to the easy way, my source of sugar is Domino's bought at the local grocery store. Typically, I'll make up 3 or 4 tenth test bottles with sugar varying from the original RS to 1.0. After waiting a few days we taste. For some varietals, Riesling or Vignoles, overall taste usually improves. The improvement sometimes varies directly with sugar level and sometimes not, but the taste is better. But for other wines (Friulano, Iona, Pinot Grigio) it is not. Instead, a distinct and unpleasant sucrose taste emerges even at these low levels. Some obvious possibilities: (1) use some other source of sugar; (2) wait longer to taste; (3) some wines just don't improve.
I've looked in some usually helpful places (Pambianchi, Taylor & Vine, Spaziani) for guidance but haven't found much, so I turn here to my ALWAYS helpful winemaking colleagues. Do you generally add a little sugar to your white wines after fermentation? How do you do it? Do you find that the effect varies with the varietal? What have you learned not to do?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Winemaking Question

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:18 am

I also sweeten some of my wines using sucrose - common table sugar and potassium sorbate to prevent re-newed fermentation. Depending on the acid level, sweetness is generally detectable between 0.6 and 1.0 %. From The Home Winemakers Manual by Lum Eisenman (a free download, but do it soon, as I understand the website where it is posted is supposed to close down):

Winemakers are primarily interested in the two major grape sugars, glucose and fructose and both are hexose monosaccharides.... Sucrose (ordinary white table sugar) is found in many fruits and vegetables, and it also occurs in a variety of grasses including sugar cane. Sucrose is a disaccharide made up of one glucose sugar and one fructose sugar.
After the addition of sucrose to a finished wine, the wine will have a "sugary" taste. However, after 4-8 weeks, the acids in the wine will break down the sucrose from a disaccharide into the two monosaccharides, glucose and fructose. The result is that the wine will maintain it's sweetness, but the "sugary" flavor will be gone. Also, an alternate to using potassium sorbate is sterile filtering.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Re: Winemaking Question

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Howie. I thought this might generate some discussion, but it seems that no one had much to say after you.