The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trouble at Winebid?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Trouble at Winebid?

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:11 am

I know many here 'shop' at this wine auction/reseller besides myself. So maybe someone may have a clue what prompted them to snail-mail out small cards, the size of an invitation, printed to look like a hand-written note from the CEO, who signs the card. In its entirety, it reads "We want you to know that our company is committed to bringing you the highest quality products and a superior customer service experience. This is our promise to you as a valued customer. Jerome Zech CEO"

That's it, sum total of the message, and it's the first 'message' of any kind I've received from Winebid in the ten years I've been buying from them.

Don't know what to make of it except to say that it sounds like damage control. For what, though, I haven't a clue. Anyone?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

dposner

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Rye, New York

Re: Trouble at Winebid?

by dposner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:46 pm

I received this as well, and thought it was odd.

But Robert Parker also just sent out emails to all those who have not renewed their subscription, to come on back!
Critics hate Criticism!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 pm

dposner wrote:But Robert Parker also just sent out emails to all those who have not renewed their subscription, to come on back!

Everyone does it these days if you haven't used their e-business in a while.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm

David, I understand the ploy of reminding lapsed customers that you're still there, but to me this doesn't read like that and besides, I'm not a lapsed customer. I buy regularly, about every 60 days, so I received this as part of a mass mailing.

Dan, and are you going to renew? For personal reasons I would guess you'd not be renewing with Parker, but professionally you are probably compelled to.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 pm

I guess I'm not a valued customer of WB, they didn't send me a card!

Nor have I heard of anything that needs damage control.

I actually did hear a recent mailing (not wine related) described as being because the marketing company owed a credit to the wholesaler, and the wholesaler was afraid the marketing company might fail, so they used up credit sending calendars. I'm sure not the case here, but an example of how some not-obvious pitches can happen.

While I didn't get the WB, I have gotten several "we value/love you" cards from wine retailers*, and at work actual handwritten cards from suppliers (people worried in current climate).

Dale
*Come to think of it, Posner hasn't sent me a card, I'll have to drop him. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Just to close on the eBob e-mail, I even got one & my subscription does not expire for 4 months. Seems like an automated e-mail snafu.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Just to close on the eBob e-mail, I even got one & my subscription does not expire for 4 months. Seems like an automated e-mail snafu.

Pretty typical of magazine subscriptions and the like, though. Collect early and often.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:14 pm

I don't think so, pretty sure WB does their own shipping (from Illinois in my case).
The big news of the New Vine Logistics is that it probably means the ballyhoed entrance of Amazon into wine isn't happening