The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Memorial Day weekend in Medford

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Memorial Day weekend in Medford

by Shaji M » Sat May 30, 2009 11:38 pm

While soccer tournament occupied most of our time, we managed a few hours to head towards Jacksonville and spend few hours over 2 days in the Applegate Valley and vicinities. The first day we swirled and sipped at the Fiasco Winery and LongSword Vineyards. At Jacksonville, they only had reds open. The wines were good but not spectacular. The reserve wines suffered from too much oak. But, the '05 Claret was really good and we purchased a bottle. At LongSword, we found ourselves liking the whites more than the reds. The unoaked Chardonnay was crisp with notes of Granny Smith apples and peaches. The Frizzante was something I can sip on a hot Nevada afternoon. They also had a vin glaze from Pinot Gris called Conversation which was a dessert wine - quite delightful. That was day 1 and not too bad.
Day 2 started out with us going to Valley View winery. A little off the main road, this was a nice stop. All wines were good across the board, but it was the '05 AnnamariaTempranillo that was the standout that day. A little up the road is Cowhorn Vineyard. A biodynamic venture, they had some beautiful wines. All Rhones (Rousanne, Rousanne/Marsanne, Viognier and Syrah), and all stood out as examples of minimal intervention of the grape. This is a very small winery and I had an opportunity to see the winery. They reminded me of Cedarville in my neck of the woods and the results were equally outstanding. Definitely our favorite winery during this trip. Our next stop was Schmidt Family vineyards. It stood on some gorgeous grounds and our kids particularly liked the greenhouse and the pond near the tasting room. I understand there were tadpoles in the pond! The tasting room was crowded. They were releasing the '08 Sauvignon Blanc that day. It was alright. However, we liked the '07 Merlot and the '07 Zinfandel. For a palate influenzed by too many Sonoma and Lodi Zins, we found their Zinfandel a fine peppery effort. We bought a bottle of it. As we were heading back, on a whim we stopped next door at Rosella's vineyard. The tasting room was one of the most modest ones I had ever seen. On a board behind the counter, there was a sign that advertised their Merlot, Cabernet and Mer-Zin. The wines were reasonably priced and I found myself thinking, "This place could be really good or really bad". Turned out to be the former. All three wines were wonderful efforts. Who knew Merlot and Zinfandel could co-exist so well!
Overall, this is a young area and in several years we could see good wines from here. The wines were generally on the pricier side except for Cowhorn and Rosella's. There is an occasional tendency to over-oak the more expensive wines. They probably could do well by curbing this.
Lastly, I wish I had more time to explore some wineries further west and north. Fortunately, the soccer tournament happens every year.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Re: Memorial Day weekend in Medford

by Shaji M » Sat May 30, 2009 11:44 pm

And I should mention that it was in one of the earlier posts that I first heard about Applegate Valley. Lurking paid off!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun May 31, 2009 11:31 pm

Having recently been through the Applegate Valley, and having a good time doing so, I'm pleased that you enjoyed your visit there as well, Shaji.

Seems like I liked Fiasco wines more than you did---and I thought their tasting room and attitude were an absolute delight. Oh well, different mileage.

It's a beautiful place blessed with excellent weather patterns, and I have come to believe it will emerge as one of the premier areas for Tempranilo and Sangiovese...possibly the Merlot/Cabernet stuff as well; I'm just more interested in the previous two.

Also, there's some interesting experimentaion going on with various white varieties that show some promise---like Vermentino.

I wouldn't hesitate to recco it to any wine folks. And I'll happily go back myself.

HH
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 am

Shaji, you don't post often enough!

But thanks to you and Hoke for discussing this area. It's relatively close to me and a place I really would love to visit as I never see/hear of these wines here in Washington, and I find the area very appealing and beautiful. It's a shame, but I guess we, and that's the royal 'we', are so preoccupied with our own state's products we don't throw Oregon a glance except for pinot noir because we don't grow that ourselves.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:00 am

But thanks to you and Hoke for discussing this area. It's relatively close to me and a place I really would love to visit as I never see/hear of these wines here in Washington,

Relatively close? Compared to Tierra Del Fuego? Hell, it's 250 miles south of me! :shock:

I am discovering some wines from the area and like what I'm finding. Troon has opened a tasting room in Carlton and I've been there several times now. Herb Quady (yes, of those Quadys) is the winemaker. He makes zinfandels that remind me of the old days.

Cliff Creek also has a presence in Carlton now. I have some of their syrah I like.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 am

ChefJCarey wrote:
But thanks to you and Hoke for discussing this area. It's relatively close to me and a place I really would love to visit as I never see/hear of these wines here in Washington,

Relatively close? Compared to Tierra Del Fuego? Hell, it's 250 miles south of me! :shock:

If I can get there in a day, it's close enough. And I know I can, as I did that once the day after being rescued from a snow storm ahead by the good folks at Del Rio.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 am

Hoke,
It was indeed your earlier post that piqued my interest. Thanks. This is a beautiful area but didn't strike to me initially as "wine country". But the quality of the wines here, even considering how young this area is, belies that appearance. I didn't get to taste as many Tempranillos and Sangioveses as you did on your trip. In fact, none of the places I went were pouring Sangioveses. But all the Tempranillos I tasted, I liked. Judging from Cowhorn's success, I would also be interested how the Rhones fare here.

Jenise/Chef,
Reno is a 5.5 hour drive from Medford. The journey from here is a visual treat through Northern Nevada, Northern California by Burney Falls and Mount Lassen and Mount Shasta forming a virtual wall paper through some gorgeous countryside (I have some cool pictures, I wish I knew how to post). Soon after Yreka, we go through Ashland and Medford is a mere 10 minutes away. It goes by fast even with 2 kids in tow! I admit I have been lurking more than I have been posting. But, I have been lurking a lot :D ..Also, I am trying to hang on to my ultra-geek status as long as I can. Once innocence is lost it can't be regained..
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Shaji M wrote:Reno is a 5.5 hour drive from Medford. The journey from here is a visual treat through Northern Nevada, Northern California by Burney Falls and Mount Lassen and Mount Shasta

I can appreciate that. When we moved to Washington from Los Angeles, over a period of four months I drove up all three of our cars, all seven cats, and then finally, a rented truck containing our wine collection and a few items of furniture. No two trips were exactly alike--took the Jeep up the Oregon coast in September, and took the Jag convertible through Yosemite in November--but there was one stretch I covered in every trip, and that was Redding/Shasta/Yreka/Medford. That high grass prairie you enter as you come down from Shasta and before you turn west near the Oregon state line was just about my favorite scenery of the entire trip. I felt a pang of familiarity and longing upon being there that just reverberated more strongly on each subsequent trip even though I'd never set foot in that land before, and I've wanted to go back and explore that.

It goes by fast even with 2 kids in tow! I admit I have been lurking more than I have been posting. But, I have been lurking a lot :D ..Also, I am trying to hang on to my ultra-geek status as long as I can. Once innocence is lost it can't be regained..

Well, since you admit to having two children, I'll have to agree you would know. :wink:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Once innocence is lost it can't be regained...

They're doing wonderful things with stem cell research now...I'm counting on it ! :twisted:
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT