The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Breezaire, WineMate, or CellarPro

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Breezaire, WineMate, or CellarPro

by MikeH » Fri May 29, 2009 4:16 pm

I acquired a Vinotemp wine cabinet for dirt cheap but knew the cooling unit was dead. Through Vinotemp I can get a WineMate replacement for around $700. This unit looks very similar to a Breezaire unit I can get for maybe a shade more but without shipping costs. (I wouldn't be surprised if Breezaire was making the WineMate units.) Finally, I can spend about $850 and get a CellarPro cooler that is sized to fit the Vinotemp cabinet, same dimensions. But for the extra bucks, I supposedly get better humidity control plus some alarm stuff if temps get out of acceptable range.

I had not heard of CellarPro before. And the only info I can find on them seems to originate from a single company....LeCache, a wine cabinet maker. I begin to think that CellarPro is actually made by LeCache, casting doubt on the credibility of various reviews I have found.

Anyone have any knowledge of CellarPro? or either of my other options?

Thanks.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Breezaire, WineMate, or CellarPro

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 29, 2009 6:24 pm

Never heard of CellarPro. I've had a Breezaire for 7 years with minimal issues (oh gosh I should not have said that).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri May 29, 2009 7:04 pm

MikeH wrote:I acquired a Vinotemp wine cabinet for dirt cheap but knew the cooling unit was dead. Through Vinotemp I can get a WineMate replacement for around $700. This unit looks very similar to a Breezaire unit I can get for maybe a shade more but without shipping costs. (I wouldn't be surprised if Breezaire was making the WineMate units.) Finally, I can spend about $850 and get a CellarPro cooler that is sized to fit the Vinotemp cabinet, same dimensions. But for the extra bucks, I supposedly get better humidity control plus some alarm stuff if temps get out of acceptable range.

I had not heard of CellarPro before. And the only info I can find on them seems to originate from a single company....LeCache, a wine cabinet maker. I begin to think that CellarPro is actually made by LeCache, casting doubt on the credibility of various reviews I have found.

Anyone have any knowledge of CellarPro? or either of my other options?

Thanks.

Mike, on their web page they freely admit t\hat CellarPro originated by Le Cache, and for a good reason IMO. I have heard so many horror stories regarding Breeze Air that I would be leery of that particular unit. I called Cellar Pro this evening to see if their unit would fit my Vinotheque, and it will not. However the guy who answer the phone (right away too) was quick to let me know that it would not work on my unit. Right there they seem to me to be on the up and up. BTW, Le Cache cabinets have a very good reputation AFAIK.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for the info! Still not sure what to do, but at least I'll have some reasons for whatever way I go!!!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:56 pm

I had a Breezaire in the unit I purchased, and I would NOT recommend them.

I purchased a Vinocraft wine cellar through K&L back in 2003. In fact, I specifically went through a retailer with a track record in order to ensure good support (rather than having to rely on the manufacturer). As it turns out, that was a wise move, but ultimately not quite wise enough (stay tuned).

Vinocraft went belly up perhaps 2 or 3 years after I bought my cellar. No problem. Everything was working great, and I did my best to ensure the unit was level, the air intake regularly cleaned, etc. Plus, I purchased through a retailer (K&L), and based on the research I did before I bought, I expected they would support my warranty claim (if one became necessary).

Flash forward to early spring '08. The wine cellar is some months shy of 5 years (the Breezaire warranty is 5 years, though I pay for parts after the first year). I notice that as the weather warms, the unit is running much more frequently, and lo-and-behold, frost on a portion of the unit inside... Houston we have a problem!!

Call up K&L, they forward me a copy of the receipt which shows that I most certainly am in the warranty period still. I figure my first shot is to call Breezaire and see what they say (noting that I have all my documentation). So I explain the situation, saying that I bought a Vinocraft, so there's that issue, but through K&L and that they've provided me with doc showing that I'm in the warranty period. The person I spoke with at Breezaire gets rather dismissive, tells me that I should go through the retailer (ok, I'm fine with that), but agrees to have their service people call me back (which never happens, big surprise).

In any case since they provide warranty service through the point of purchase, I call K&L as instructed. They tell me that they'll get in contact with Breezaire. Moreover, they note that they had apparently discussed this topic in the past with Breezaire (when Vinocraft went belly-up I suppose), indicated that they expected support, and that Breezaire's General Manager at that time said that they would be supported.

Ok... so it's not solved yet, but I was happy with K&L's response and the plan going forward.

Over the course of a few weeks I make regular contact with K&L. Apparently despite a few calls from K&L to Breezaire's General Manager, Breezaire wasn't getting back in-touch with K&L. After a few more weeks of this, I say "look, it's getting warm, this has gone on a long time, the warranty period is coming to a close... we need this resolved within a week or two."

Shortly afterwards the end game comes -- K&L must not have gotten satisfaction from Breezaire, as they called and offered to sell me another unit at cost. It was fair offer IMO -- the a/c was nearly a 5 year old unit, and Breezaire's failure to support their product shouldn't mean money out of K&L's pocket. However, I declined... why would I want to give more money to Breezaire, a company who clearly doesn't stand behind their product? In my opinion, K&L did their best to support me. It didn't work out, but they did the right thing.

Certainly Breezaire might have some wiggle room based on strict interpretation of the warranty (does the warranty reside through K&L or Vinocraft), but one would think that a reputable company would support their product in that circumstance. Particularly as K&L sold units from other companies that contain the Breezaire a/c.

Basically, IMO, while it's certainly possible that Breezaire was acting within the terms of their license, it's quite clear to me that they can't be trusted to support their products.

Why? Well, I can't say for certain, but I've heard enough stories to question their reliability. Plus, some cellar vendors with long-standing relationships (e.g. - Le Cache) dropped them in the past year or two (quality problems? who knows...)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:05 am

Mike,

You might also consider contacting a commercial HVAC outfit in your area. They might be able to provide you with a commercial unit at a cheaper price. The units purpose built for the wine enthusiast trade are far more expensive than they ought to be--the sellers know they can get away with a big markup in that market.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:34 am

Hang in there, Jim! I also purchased a Vinocraft Breezeaire-cooled cabinet through K&L despite thinking I could have saved fifty bucks dealing direct. The Breezaire unit was defective, and I can’t say that K&L reps were thrilled to hear from me, but they did return calls, and in the end I got a new Breezeaire cooling unit which works great. Yep, I keep another thermometer inside to double check the temperature and keep a water pan at the bottom filled. After five years all is well.