The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Flor de Crasto Douro

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 Flor de Crasto Douro

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 am

2006 Flor de Crasto Douro 12.5%
A budget offering from Quinta do Crasto, made from purchased grapes and only available in selected markets, presumably because this competes with their other budget bottling, the more expensive "Crasto", also made from purchased grapes. A blend Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional, with less alcohol than the regular Crasto's 14.0%. Label says it is fermented for 10 days in open stainless steel tanks with mechanical pigeage. Aromas of ripe plums and some light cocoa. Vibrant acidity and a queer iodine note, that becomes stronger and stronger until it becomes dominant. Even with food, the acidity remains stronger than the sweetness, and overwhelms the simple, pleasant fruit, while the iodine makes pleasure impossible. Too bad, I so wanted to like this...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Flor de Crasto Douro

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Quinta do Crasto gets lots of shelf space downtown. Yesterday I picked up the `08 Crasto white as well as 3 bottles of the `03 LBV.
I have some Reservas which should be drinking nicely anytime soon!