The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Book Review: Pinotage - Behind the Legends ... By Peter May

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Book Review: Pinotage - Behind the Legends ... By Peter May

by Sue Courtney » Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 pm

I've just received an advance copy (to New Zealand) of Pinotage - Behind the Legends of South Africa's Own Wine by Peter F May - a regular and long time contributor to WLDG.

I picked it up out of my letter box when I arrived home yesterday and read the chapter on New Zealand while still sitting in the car after opening my gate. Why, because I wanted to see what he had written, of course. Peter has been an Internet 'buddy' since early 1998. He had created a website http://www.pinotage.org, in reference to this unique South African grape. I contacted Peter and said we grew Pinotage here too and sent him some of my reviews. But I didn't meet Peter in person until November 2007 when he made his first visit to New Zealand with the UK Circle of Wine Writers. He arrived a day earlier than the others and during the next two days I whisked him away to meet as many of the local Pinotage producers that I could. Unfortunately not all of them - it was the weekend and some were closed on the Sunday. And if that wasn't enough, after two days of intense visits and now struggling with jet lag, I made him sit down and taste a line-up of many of the country's Pinotage wines. This tasting is covered in the book.

Peter returned to New Zealand late last year, this time for a holiday because he loved the country so much, and to accompany on this trip was author wife Elizabeth May. During this second visit he managed to touch base with producers he hadn't met the first time due to Circle of Wine Writers visit constraints. He drove north to New Zealand's northernmost vineyard, Karikari Estate and tasted estate grown Pinotage winemaker Ben Dugdale. In the New Year, when in the South Island, he met New Zealand's southernmost Pinotage grower, John Olssen of Olssens Wines in Central Otago. The grapes from Olssens go into a South African 'Cape Blend' style. While in the deep south Peter went on a search to find New Zealand's oldest Pinotage vines. He explains in the book they were planted at a research station in Earnscleugh in the late 1950's and four vines, along with three Chenin Blanc, were rediscovered in 2002, but his detective work seven years later failed to find them.

The first Pinotage in New Zealand was released by Corbans Wines in 1964 and after Peter left New Zealand I went on a mission to try and find what were now New Zealand's oldest producing Pinotage vines. Peter says in the book, "probably at Kerr Farm" and finally, after speaking to every possible current and former Pinotage grape grower, I can confirm that Kerr Farms' vines, planted in 1969 at their vineyard in Kumeu (Auckland), are now the oldest. In the book Peter mentions the lemon tree borer in these vines but when I spoke to Jaison Kerr in January 2009 he said, "the vines seem to have taken on a new lease of life - they are not going to die off anytime soon". As I only managed to make contact with the last 'former' producer in April, the information came too late for Peter to include in his book. Other known Pinotage producers around Auckland have either pulled their old vines out, or replaced the old vines with younger plantings.

But there's more to the book than the chapter on New Zealand, of course, because this is South Africa's own special grape and it makes very interesting reading. The book coincides with the 50th anniversary of the first varietal Pinotage in South Africa. A cross of Pinot Noir and Cinsault, it was created by Professor Abraham Izak Perold at the University of Stellenbosch in the early 1920's. Unfortunately he died before in 1941, long before the vinous output of his creation.

There are many myths and legends associated with Pinotage and Peter covers them and debunks them. He unravels a mystery that any mention of here would spoil for readers.

Other chapters in the book are concerned with people who grow Pinotage and places where it grows - the list is getting longer with Australia, Brazil, Canada, Cyprus, Israel (Rogov is mentioned), Zimbabwe, and in the USA - California, Montana, New York, Oregon, North Carolina and Virginia.

I like Ben Dugdale's quote in the book. He says, "to my mind Pinotage has a good future, but it really does need a public relations campaign". Congratulations Peter - this is wonderful PR for this misunderstood grape and the wine it makes. It's a well-researched and easy to read book. I recommend it.

Where do you buy? Well, simply check out http://www.pinotagebook.com. There's a preview of the book there too.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Book Review: Pinotage - Behind the Legends ... By Peter May

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 28, 2009 12:14 am

Missed this when you posted it initially, Sue. Great to hear that Peter has the book out. Sounds like a good addition to the wine geek bookshelf.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 am

Thanks for the review. Never got around to investigating pinotage, sadly, no doubt due to lack of above-mentioned PR campaign. :)
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 am

Sue

From the late 70s, I remember both collecting and drinking my way through a reasonable amount of Nobilo Pinotage which I recall were produced from up around Kumeu. Their's was regarded as one of the best examples from the golden period of NZ pinotage. Unfortunately they never really took on the additional depth and complexity that we started to see from Cab Savs also being produced during that period.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:Sue

From the late 70s, I remember both collecting and drinking my way through a reasonable amount of Nobilo Pinotage which I recall were produced from up around Kumeu. Their's was regarded as one of the best examples from the golden period of NZ pinotage. Unfortunately they never really took on the additional depth and complexity that we started to see from Cab Savs also being produced during that period.

Mark

Yes, from Kumeu. Nobilo is still there and as now part of Constellation, it is also Constellation NZ headquarters. There are many more building and tanks than you will remember from the late 1970's and what was once the vineyard is now paddocks. To preserve the heritage, the original tasting room still exists
I still have a bottle of 1970's era Nobilo Pinotage. Is it drinkable? probably not.
The last one I have recorded as tasting was from the 1998 vintage.

Incidentally, Nobilo 1970 Pinotage was the first gold medal winning Pinotage in New Zealand. They made 100% Pinotage instead of blending with hybrids - as the worst wines were and probably what gave the wine such a bad rap.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the review. Never got around to investigating pinotage, sadly, no doubt due to lack of above-mentioned PR campaign. :)

You have missed nothing.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu May 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Mark Kogos wrote:Sue

Mark

Yes, from Kumeu. Nobilo is still there and as now part of Constellation, it is also Constellation NZ headquarters. There are many more building and tanks than you will remember from the late 1970's and what was once the vineyard is now paddocks. To preserve the heritage, the original tasting room still exists
I still have a bottle of 1970's era Nobilo Pinotage. Is it drinkable? probably not.
The last one I have recorded as tasting was from the 1998 vintage.

Incidentally, Nobilo 1970 Pinotage was the first gold medal winning Pinotage in New Zealand. They made 100% Pinotage instead of blending with hybrids - as the worst wines were and probably what gave the wine such a bad rap.

Cheers,
Sue

Sue

For some reason, the 76 and 78 Nobilos Pinotage stick in my head. It is decades since I thought about the stuff. :)
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Frank Deis wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the review. Never got around to investigating pinotage, sadly, no doubt due to lack of above-mentioned PR campaign. :)

You have missed nothing.

That is your opinion but I totally disagree. Taste something like the Diemersfontein Pinotage - two reviews in this months (May) wine focus and it's juicy and succulent enough to change most people's minds.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 29, 2009 11:04 am

Frank Deis wrote:

You have missed nothing.

1 - I generally agree with you, but of course there are exceptions, just as there are with other grapes for which I hold no love - Foch, for instance. Once in awhile you get a star arising out of the dungheap... :mrgreen:

2 - even if I don't agree with Peter about the value of Pinotage (the Carmenere of the Cape?) I respect his effort in creating a book in an area where there is little information available. This is a useful addition to wine lore. Just as we might not care that much about, say, the origin of Zinfandel in Europe, but could read a book about it with pleasure.

That may seem like damning with faint praise, but it isn't. The effort represents a net gain in available wine information and that is always laudable even if you don't like the particular subject matter.
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Fri May 29, 2009 3:43 pm

I haven't found many standout pinotages either, nor does the average consumer have much chance to come across them anyway. However, I did have one a few years back that I loved so much I found the domaine's rep in Toronto and ordered a case from him. Unfortunately, I don't recall the year, but the wine was by Hippo Creek.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:09 am

Frank Deis wrote:You have missed nothing.

To my mind you're the one that's missing out :)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 am

MichaelRedhill wrote: Hippo Creek.

Hippo Creek was a label of KWV.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:54 am

I've had many a good pinotage. I brought a Kiwi version as a ringer to a pinot noir tasting that reknowned American winemaker Brian Loring attended, and he and I were both so enamored of it we heisted the bottle and escaped to a back area of the house to finish the bottle by ourselves which we did, giggling like children. Don't recall the producer, though.

Anyway, interesting review, Sue, and congrats to Peter on the new book.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kriss Reed

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 am

Long Beach, CA USA

by Kriss Reed » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Jenise wrote:I've had many a good pinotage. I brought a Kiwi version as a ringer to a pinot noir tasting that reknowned American winemaker Brian Loring attended, and he and I were both so enamored of it we heisted the bottle and escaped to a back area of the house to finish the bottle by ourselves which we did, giggling like children. Don't recall the producer, though.

Jenise, might it have been Muddy Water? John Gorman used to bring in their pinotage, as well as their pinot, over at Southern Hemisphere.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Kriss Reed wrote:
Jenise wrote:I've had many a good pinotage. I brought a Kiwi version as a ringer to a pinot noir tasting that reknowned American winemaker Brian Loring attended, and he and I were both so enamored of it we heisted the bottle and escaped to a back area of the house to finish the bottle by ourselves which we did, giggling like children. Don't recall the producer, though.

Jenise, might it have been Muddy Water? John Gorman used to bring in their pinotage, as well as their pinot, over at Southern Hemisphere.

Could well be Muddy Water. Winemaker Belinda Gould makes it like she makes Pinot Noir. Consistently good wine too. If it doesn't reach the quality she is aiming for in Pinotage, she instead puts it into a lower level (= lower priced) blend of Pinotage and whatever else.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Well done Peter.

Best

Warren