The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ojai KickOn Riesling '07...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ojai KickOn Riesling '07...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue May 26, 2009 11:25 am

My stash of Ojai arrived Thurs and I couldn't wait Adam's new Riesling:
1. OjaiVnyd KickOnRanch/SantaBarbaraCnty Riesling (13.0%) 2007: Pale yellow color; beautiful Germanic/Riesling/floral very slatey/minerally perfumed nose; very tart/acid slatey/minerally light/pure/R/floral/pineapple very Germanic/Mosel flavor; long pure/clean/R/floral very minerally/slatey classic Mosel finish; the most Mosel-like Riesling I've ever had from Calif; clean as a whistle/bright/minerally Riesling that should go out 10-20 yrs. Great value at $21.00
1. This is Adam's first foray into the Riesling field....and a smashing first effort it is. He professes a fondness for Austrian Rieslings and this is a mighty fine shot in that direction. To me, it had that slatey/minerally character I find in young Mosels. But I can see the similarity to some of the Austrian Rieslings as well. It's not going to be a wine that appeals to critics who like "gobs of hedonistic fruit", so don't expect big scores for this wine. But if you like food-friendly/interesting/refreshing/minerally whites; this one's for you.
KickOn Ranch is, as I recall, located on DrumCanyonRd, mid-way between the LompocHwy in the StaRitaHills and (the lesser) LosAlamos. It's a fairly older planting of Riesling that Adam uncovered.
Tom