The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cabs and Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Cabs and Chardonnay

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 26, 2009 11:01 am

2003 Tudal Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. From small winery north of St. Helana. Blend of estate and valley fruit.
Outstanding Napa Valley cabernent in a very, very "Bordeaux" style. Blind I would never have guessed California, especially not the warmer country well north of St. Helena! It is interesting how some 2003s are maturing very quickly (Tudal, Freemark Abbey). Earth, leather, dark cassis fruit, very smooth. Very nice. 90 points.

2002 Ristow "Piedras" Cabernet Sauvignon. Oof. Not sure what to say about this one. I picked up a bottle last year because I really enjoyed the 2004 and thought to myself "wow....for the same price a bottle with a couple of extra years." This may have been the most tannic Napa Valley wine I have ever drank. We even ran it through....I know, I know...a Vinturi (which, I have to admit, helped quite a bit.) Not alcoholic, not a fruit bomb, not particularly oaky, and there is good fruit here. But, man oh man, those TANNINS. Vin de Garde. Drink in 10 years???? Will there be enough fruit?

2006 Di Arie Zinfandel "Grandpere" Great Zinfandel! Instead of cherry cough syrup, you get warm berry fruit nestled in a bed of savory and earthy notes. 90 points.

2007 The Ojai Winery Chardonnay Bien Nacido Vineyard. Tasted at Backroom Wines. This Chardonnay was controversial among my fellow tasters-some found it oaky while I found it fresh and somewhat balanced. But then, when offered oaky Chardonnay, the wine offered is more often than not Rombauer, and this was not Rombauer. :P I thought this was very fresh and I loved the fruit. This is a winery I need to explore.

2007 Freemark Abbey Viognier. Tasted at winery. Lovely fruit, not too alcoholic. Beautiful peach and citrus with a savory edge. Not a big fan of Viognier, but I liked this one!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach