The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Peek at Some 1999 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: A Peek at Some 1999 Bordeaux

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon May 25, 2009 11:00 pm

A few of us gathered last week to check in on a few 1999 Bordeaux. To start us off was a 2001 Bouchard Meursault Les Perrieres My last bottle of this and it has shown consistently with good acidity, a touch of citrus, displaying some butter on the finish. A lovely bottle of wine. On to the Bordeaux, all 1999.

Le Tertre Roteboeuf - earthy, wild mushrooms, and plums. Softly structured, tannins and fruit are well integrated. Hopefully, a harbinger of the wines to follow.

Pavie - a wow wine. A nose of gardenias and cherries. Lots of tannins, plump with bold fruit. I had to remind myself that I was drinking Bordeaux. Impressive, and a wine that seems to have a long life.

Pichon Baron - nose of stewed fruit. Polished, smoky with dark fruit and spices. Long finish.

Giscours - elegant, good acidity, has charm. Not as impressive as the others, but easy to drink now.

I like this vintage for current drinking, and I'm glad I have some others in the cellar.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Peak at Some 1999 Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 26, 2009 7:19 am

Thanks for the note on the Baron. I have a few, so that's a great data point.

Turns out your Bordeaux night was the same night as my tasting group's '98 CNdP fest.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue May 26, 2009 8:54 am

On this particular night, I preferred the Baron over the others. Let me know what you think, when you open one of your bottles.

I'm sure you had a shorter drive to your CdP tasting over one you would have had to make, if you drove to LI. :wink:
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Enjoyed your observations. Gardenias, huh? Dawns on me that would have been a good descriptor for the floral element I found in a pinot grigio over the weekend. Odd to think of it in a red wine, though (and I own that wine). I envy you that Tertre Rotebeouf--love that wine, or at least I loved loved loved the 97. So effusively earthy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks for the notes, Diane. Ditto re what Jenise said about the burping cows. TR has gotten so expensive that I stopped buying it after '97. But I might pick up a '99 now that you described it thus. Jenise said the '99 Barde Haut is a must, along the lines of the TR. Agree re Giscours, but you can't outdo that sexy label. Opened a '99 d'Issan a couple of weeks ago and committed infanticide. I like the '99s as a rule.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Nice notes. 1999s are generally showing well.I have one bottle left of the 01 Bouchard Perrieres, hope it shows as well, have always liked.