The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nice QPR Cahors,fine dry Muscat,red Valencia,Jura,etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Nice QPR Cahors,fine dry Muscat,red Valencia,Jura,etc.

by Tim York » Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 am

All of these wines from the last 10 days or so were second or third looks at wines tasted or consumed (and sometimes WTNed) previously. In most cases my impressions have changed somewhat.

I liked Cahors Solis 2004 – Matthieu Cosse – Alc.13% - (€8 approx) – 85% Malbec, 10% Merlot, 5% Tannat - at a recent tasting sufficiently to buy some bottles but I enjoyed in even more at home with food. At a modest price it conveys what Cahors is about; savoury fruit with a marked wet leather tang and touches of tar and liquorice together with lively acidity and firm tannins; much more to my taste than the majority of sweetly fruited and toffee laced Argentinean Malbec at a similar price but I am probably in a minority here; 16/20+ QPR.

On the other hand I was more impressed at a tasting by Maduresa Valencia 2005 – Celler del Roure – Alc. 14.5% - (€21) - 30% Mandó, 20% Monastrell, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 15% Tempranillo - than at home with dinner. Fully bodied, richly sweet fruited with jam and fruit cake touches, warming alcohol and ripe tannins but without much to distinguish it from hundreds of other rich, high alcohol modern reds being made round the world; 15.5/20.

First impressions of Côtes du Jura “Fleur de Marnes” 2002 – Labet – Alc. 13% - 100% Chardonnay – were excellent with aromas of ripe white fruit burnished by some maturity refreshed by abundant minerals and crisp tangy acidity but lurking in there were traces of something unpleasant like drains which I do not recall from earlier bottles; going downhill, off bottle or odd phase? 15/20 at best.

The tangy Sangiovese acidity which I noted about a year ago on Lucilla IGT Toscana 1999 – Farnetella – Alc. 13% - (approx. €10) seems to have mellowed to the extent than I thought that Sangiovese was in the minority until I looked it up - Sangiovese (75%), Cabernet Sauvignon (15%) and Merlot (15%). A nice full, well balanced and structured mature wine but I preferred it with more tang; 15.5/20 QPR.

Muscat Réserve Alsace 2005 – Domaine Weinbach – Alc. 13% - was, however, exactly as remembered from a tasting; elegant yet richly aromatic and floral enlivened by a dash of ginger and perfect with asparagus; 16.5/20.

Bordeaux Supérieur 2004 – Domaine de Courteillac – Alc. 13% - is a dependable stand-by for its Merlot dominated blend well up to the standard of many Saint-Emilion grands crus. This was slightly less rich and complex than the 2000 and 2003 but fresher and more lively with a charcoal touch; 15.5/20++ QPR.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Nice QPR Cahors,fine dry Muscat,red Valencia,Jura,etc.

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for the notes Tim.

Always good to see notes on Alsatian Muscat (one of my favorites). We don't see much in the USA.

And it's great to see Cahors notes. I wish I was headed back to the area soon, but alas for budget cuts.
Decisions are made by those who show up