The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ridge and Amirault

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

Ridge and Amirault

by Ben Rotter » Sun May 24, 2009 7:23 am

Ridge Geyserville 2005
77% Zinfandel, 17% Carignane, 6% Petite Sirah
The nose is quite Californian (though I didn’t taste it blind) with sweet briary fruit yet a savoury quality of earth, soft-scented violets, some pepper and cinnamon spice and a slightly resinous quality. Smooth plummy briary palate with moderate powdery tannins. It holds its 14.6% alcohol well: it’s not too full or hot in the finish. Not profound, but very good and enjoyable I thought.

Yannick Amirault Bourgueil La Coudraye 2004
The previous bottle of this was a little dull on the nose compared to the 2005. This bottle is even stranger with a dominant musty/rotting fungal wood aroma with some semi-stinky flower (like foxglove or a stinky elder). The palate carries these flavours too, though it’s a nicely balanced and structured palate with good acidity and soft furry tannins. It was more pleasant to drink with food (beef stew, cheeses), and refreshingly moreish despite the flavours, but IMO this is nowhere near the fantastic 2005.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Ridge and Amirault

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun May 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Ben - I love Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs, but this might be a little too soon to get the most from the wine. They age beautifully and I have been enjoying those bottles from the 2000 and 2001 vintages, with an occasional 2002 for current drinking. Nice note on the wine.
Diane
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Mon May 25, 2009 6:58 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:I love Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs, but this might be a little too soon to get the most from the wine.

Agreed, Diane.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 25, 2009 9:40 am

I'm still working on my '97s and just getting into the '99s.
Decisions are made by those who show up