The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Birthday wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Birthday wines

by Bruce Hayes » Sat May 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Debbie and I went to Montreal today for my stepson's 30th birthday celebration.

We picked up some food at the Atwater Market and had a very enjoyable picnic on the banks of the Lachine Canal.

Piper-Heidsieck Brut

Lovely golden in the glass.
Lots of streams of tiny bubbles.

Green apple, honey, toasty, nutty, doughy, good gentle acidity, quite intense and rich.
A delicious wine and almost gulpable.

Vin Gris de Cigare Rose 2008
Bonny Doon Vineyards
California

A blend of Grenache, Cinsault and Roussanne.

Lovely bright pink in the glass.

A fresh nose.

Cherry, raspberry, spicy, a little sweet, medium weight, nice and tangy, with some roughness toward the end.
A simple and, in my mind, disappointing wine, considering all the good things I have heard about this wine over the years.

Screwcap closure.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: WTN: Birthday wines

by Joe Moryl » Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Happy birthday! I love the Atwater Market - lots of great food for a picnic. Wish we had the equivalent around here. There is a great ice cream stand over by the canal - Havre aux Glace (they have a shop in the Jean Talon market too) - have you tried them?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 am

Joe Moryl wrote:There is a great ice cream stand over by the canal - Havre aux Glace (they have a shop in the Jean Talon market too) - have you tried them?

Nope, can't recall seeing them.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Mon May 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Joe Moryl wrote: There is a great ice cream stand over by the canal - Havre aux Glace (they have a shop in the Jean Talon market too) - have you tried them?

I tried Le Havre Aux Glaces very shortly after a comprehensive evaluation of gelaterias in Toronto. Their grapefruit was a standout, but the others were good, without being outstanding. Well worth a visit on a hot day, but many flavours were too sweet for me. My guess is that is from a style difference as the 'Quebec sweet tooth' made many other desserts (in Montreal) too sweet for my palate.