The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: BYO Lunch in the City

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: BYO Lunch in the City

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat May 23, 2009 7:45 pm

With some friends, we took advantage of Union Square Cafe's recently reduced corkage fee and met for lunch today and brought a couple of bottles. We started with a 2005 De Lille Cellars Chaleur Estate Blanc It was my first time tasting this wine. It had a nose of apricot and minerals. A little creamy but with enough acidity to provide balance and was light on the palate. It was a good match with our appetizers of tuna tartare, and swiss chard ravioli with a bread crumb and garlic topping. Waiting in the wings was a bottle of 2004 Radio Coteau Pinot Noir Savoy Vineyard. It's close to a year since I've had this wine, and it's all coming together after a rough and fairly disjointed bottle last time. A muscular wine with black cherries and spice. These delicious flavors linger on the palate, and we all enjoyed it.

To end our afternoon, we strolled around the Union Square Greenmarket and picked up some asparagus and bison burgers for dinner on Memorial Day. It was a beautiful day in the city.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: BYO Lunch in the City

by Jenise » Sat May 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Diane, I'm such a fan of DeLille's Chaleur red that finding--and tasting!--the white has been something of a quest. So far, though, no success, I just don't even see it for sale. Did you think it was worth the price? (In case you weren't the purchaser, I believe it retails around $40).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat May 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Jenise - I think that our friends bought the wine direct from the winery. Is it located near the Herbfarm?

Do I think it is worth the price? I'm not rushing out to buy it, but I certainly wouldn't try to talk you out of it. It was a very nice wine - lots of body without any heaviness.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 23, 2009 10:54 pm

I haven't been to USC in at least 5 years, but I think some friends may be planning dinner there due to new corkage fees. How was food?

Nice notes
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat May 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Most of the dishes were delicious. The ravioli, steaks, and lamb chops got raves. My halibut was excellent but the advertised porcini and asparagus that accompanied it required a magnifying glass to find the porcini. When I mentioned it to our waitress, she offered to bring a plate of shaved porcini. We were there for 3 hours and were never rushed. Wine service was just fine.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 24, 2009 11:31 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Jenise - I think that our friends bought the wine direct from the winery. Is it located near the Herbfarm?

Do I think it is worth the price? I'm not rushing out to buy it, but I certainly wouldn't try to talk you out of it. It was a very nice wine - lots of body without any heaviness.

Yes, in Woodinville which is northeast of Seattle. Thanks for your assessment!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun May 24, 2009 11:39 am

I have been and continue to be a fan of the Union Square Cafe and I applaud their new corkage policy. A wise move in trying economic times.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun May 24, 2009 11:48 am

What is the new corkage deal at USC? Haven't been there yet, but heard good things about it and if they're making it easier for people to bring wines in, then I might drop in some time when in NY...
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun May 24, 2009 11:58 am

Salil Benegal wrote:What is the new corkage deal at USC? Haven't been there yet, but heard good things about it and if they're making it easier for people to bring wines in, then I might drop in some time when in NY...

It is $10 per bottle. It's well worth a visit.
Diane
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun May 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Good to know about the new corkage policy at USC. Thanks.
Ramon Cabrera