The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux Blend Dinner in L.A.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Bordeaux Blend Dinner in L.A.

by Jenise » Sat May 23, 2009 1:30 pm

All wines served blind and provided by attendees.

First Flight:

1) Brett, empty midpalate, no fruit in the finish, tired. Last place for me. 02 Serafini & Vidotto "Phigaia", Cab Franc & Merlot, Veneto

2) Dust, pepper, restrained fruit, holding power, gets better, very very good. 99 La Fleur a Boiiard, Lalande de Pomerol. Group 1st, my 2nd.

3) Young, raspberry fruit, complex, spice, some alcohol, def new world, very well made and complete. My co-third place wine. 05 Wattle Creek, a Cab-Merlot-PV blend from the Yorkville Highlands, Cloverdale, California. (This had us pulling out an atlas the next morning.)

4) Dusty, old book, leathery fruit, loved it at first but it fades quickly. Seemed more like a goner than a sleeper, but I could be wrong. 5th place for me, but 3rd for the group based mostly on the initial nose vs. overall performance. 95 Prieure Lichine.

5) Vibrant fruit, earthy, a little funky, sensual, Bordeauxish. My 1st, group 2nd, and a wine I brought: 99 Barde Haut, St. Emilion.

6) Great nose, tight midpalate, oodles of potential here but this one's not open for business. Again, I'm the only one who seems to understand the difference between sleepy time and not there at all, so it's my co-3rd place wine but the group's last. '98 Grand Puy Ducasse.

Second Flight:

My note-taking diminished seriously between the two flights.

1) Oddly, especially since it was my first place wine, I took no detail notes on this one--I guess I was just enjoying it too much to stay on task. But suffice to say that the 1990 Chateau de Pez was drinking very, very well this night. The group 'got it' too, and gave it 2nd.

2) Tight, starchy, not showing well at this moment in its life. The group and I both gave it 5th place, 2005 Chateau Lalande Borie, St. Julien.

3) Very old world, med weight, shows some maturity, spicy and complex, delicious. My 3rd, group 4th. My other contribution to the event: 2000 Providence Matakana, New Zealand.

4) Rich and tobacco-y, cedar, black cherry and black currant; big, suave and silky. Ah, no wonder, it's California, a 97 Beaulieu Georges La Tour. My 4th, group first place.

5) Very old world profile here, drinking fine it seems but very primary and showing no real character. 5th place for me and the group. 2005 Chateau Clarke, Listra-Medoc, a Rothschild property.

6) New world, big and extracted with a green streak. Did someone bring an Aussie? HA! It's the 2005 Michel Rolland Winemakers Collection Cuvee #1 from the Haut-Medoc, complete with Michel's photo on the label. What a hoot--a brilliant fake ringer brought by Kriss Reed, and everybody's last place wine. There IS a god.

6A) The green streak in the Michel Rolland fooled our host into thinking it was TCA so he immediately pumped a substitute into the line-up. Nice choice. Deep, brooding, black, concentrated, new worldish temperament but not sweet, hard to place and intriguing. Aha! It's South African, the 2000 De Toren Fusion V. The group and I both gave it 2nd place.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Bordeaux Blend Dinner in L.A.

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 23, 2009 3:10 pm

The Rolland is actually the Winemakers' Collection. If it was the Winelovers' Collection it would taste a little different.

I actually think there's enough structure behind it for it to be much more drinkable in several years, but it is rather gobby right now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 23, 2009 6:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The Rolland is actually the Winemakers' Collection. If it was the Winelovers' Collection it would taste a little different.

I actually think there's enough structure behind it for it to be much more drinkable in several years, but it is rather gobby right now.

Oops. :) I'll amend my copy. I guess if I had posted this note on another board I might have typed "Winebob Collection". :) Think you're right about the future of it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kriss Reed

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 am

Long Beach, CA USA

by Kriss Reed » Wed May 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for the notes, Jenise. It was a fun and instructive night, and we all ate very well thanks to Annabelle and you. :D

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the #2 Du Bourdieu and #3 Franchetti releases in the Winemakers Collection and, if so, can tie any trace of terroir commonality to them? Or are any such similarities obscured by individual winemaking choices? It will be interesting to see if the differences fade over time and the wines begin to follow a similar trajectory.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Out of curiosity I bought a bottle of the #2 Winemakers Collection (to go with my single bottle of #1). At some point I will check them out side by side.
Decisions are made by those who show up