The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NC plus Me

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: NC plus Me

by Rahsaan » Sat May 23, 2009 12:53 am

So found myself in Durham and Nathan was available with a crew of merry drinkers at Rue Cler. Which was as delicious as I have been led to expect.

Plus the wine.

We started with my bottle of 2002 Alzinger Steinertal Grüner Veltliner Smaragd which had been travelling all day in the car but still showed pretty well. Rich and ripe but supple around the corners on the acids and showing very friendly and expressive. Nice way to start tasting spring dishes.

But we were on to the fresh reds.

My favorite was the 2004 Domaine le Briseau Côteaux-du-Loir Les Mortiers which started out with a bit of the peppery goodness but had such rippling fresh and character-filled fruit. Saturated for what it was and always fresh and appealing. Lovely with every dish and afterwards as well.

There was also a lot to be said for the 2004 Clos de Tue Boeuf Cheverny La Guerrerie but as I’ve complained in the past, the carbonic process was a bit too evident for my tastes (you may place yourself elsewhere on the spectrum) although it was far from a chore to drink and there were some nice elements to roll around the mouth on the finish.

Similarly, I might have liked the 1996 Druet Bourgueil Vaumoreau better if it were on its own. But it had plenty going for it and only showed more finesse as the evening wore on. Much like the rest of us!

The 1991 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon was sweet in comparison to the other wines. At least at first and at least for my palate. But it had plenty of detail and depth to show later. Not bad at all.

But the pace was fast and the 2004 Paul Pernot Bâtard-Montrachet was sent around to evoke memories of ‘lemon chess pie’ for all the Southerners at the table. It evoked memories of nice fine spearminty chardonnay for me. Nothing wrong with it. In fact I liked it a lot. But then I’m just a heathen. And always looking for other grapes.

So the 2005 Domaine de Bellivière Jasnières Elixir de Tuf was promising but it was prefaced with a story of leaking cork and various other problems, and it tasted like a bacterial disaster. With plenty of rich fruit along with it. Who knows?

I do know that the 2006 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Franc De Pied was lovely and pure as I walked out the door. And was thankful that my wife was driving…

Good times…
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: NC plus Me

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 am

"Mayacaymus" cabernet?

Is it Mayacamas? Or Caymus? Or a play on words? Or is there really a Mayacaymus? Am I over-thinking this? Should I put this glass down and go to bed?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 23, 2009 1:12 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:"Mayacaymus" cabernet?

Is it Mayacamas? Or Caymus? Or a play on words? Or is there really a Mayacaymus? Am I over-thinking this? Should I put this glass down and go to bed?

Ignorant typo. I fixed it. And at least you didn't chastize me for creating the equivalent of a "Musignydooker" label as someone else did elsewhere...
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat May 23, 2009 6:46 am

Vicariously glad to see you getting some Loire consolation!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 am

Um, better but not quite (Mayacamas). Would be good if you edit so it shows in searches.

Seldom that I read "promising" and "bacterial disaster" next to each other. :)

Thanks for notes.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 23, 2009 8:45 am

Dale Williams wrote:Um, better but not quite (Mayacamas). Would be good if you edit so it shows in searches.

Thanks! The details continue to elude me..

Seldom that I read "promising" and "bacterial disaster" next to each other. :)

Yes, I guess I meant that it had some interesting rich fruit and seemed to be a promising wine, until one noticed the disastrous elements! Not exactly sure what the problem was, and we never never hashed it out at the table, but more than a few of us just dumped our pours and went back to other stuff.