The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2007 Scott Paul "Audrey" & 2007 Rivers Marie SC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2007 Scott Paul "Audrey" & 2007 Rivers Marie SC

by Jason Hagen » Fri May 22, 2009 2:29 pm

2007 Scott Paul Cellars Pinot Noir Audrey - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/12/2009)
Had next to the 07 RM SC over 3 days - Blind on the first day.
This was not giving much. Earthy. Reminds me more of Burgundy than U.S. After a few days I notices a stemmy quality (although I don't think Scott uses stems). What a major contrast, on the palate, to the RM. Shows a greener earthy quality. Very structured. Not flashy and slightly closed down. Very nice tannin. Acid on the lighter side but correct. Some spice going on too. After a few days more of the fruit emerged through the middle. Tannin still showing but the wine is more awake and spry. This is a wine of structure. Burgundy like. As the nights and days went on I really enjoyed this. A bit of a bruiser at this stage but I think it will end as a beauty. Will need time. Wait 5-7 years. (91 pts.)

2007 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/12/2009)
Had over 3 days next to the 07 Scott Paul Audrey - Blind
At first smell I couldn't place this. Could be Oregon, could be SRH. After smelling the Scott Paul, it was clear this was the RM. But at this stage the aromas are un-evolved and aggressive. The aromas really didn't change over three days. The wine is plain tasty at this stage. Great fruit and solid acid. Light on tannin but it is there. As the evening went on the acid in this wine became fatiguing. The acid stayed slightly out of whack all 3 days. I love acid but this was a little too citrusy. Along with the fruit there is a bit of sweet cherry cola but it is not candied. I don't see this wine making old bones but with a few years it should come into a better balance. A very nice value at $25. I plan to hold off for 2/3 years before revisiting. (89 pts.)
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: 2007 Scott Paul "Audrey" & 2007 Rivers Marie SC

by Michael Malinoski » Fri May 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Jason, thanks for the impressions on the '07 Rivers-Marie. I didn't get strong citrus acidity in the bottle we had last weekend, but then again we did not have the chance to follow it as long as you. I did sense some prickly heat, which could have been more of acidity thing than an alcohol thing, but for us, this was a really up-front fruit-driven young wine. We both agree some short term cellaring will help it come together, though! :D

-Michael