The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2 Mauro Sebaste and 2 Copain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2 Mauro Sebaste and 2 Copain

by Jason Hagen » Fri May 22, 2009 2:28 pm

2004 Mauro Sebaste Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/19/2009)
Wow this is drinking well now. Amazing aromatics. Dried cherries, wood, earth, flowers and spice. So much going on. On the second night there was a herbaceous thing going on as well. I loved how this wine had an abundance of fruit with out any over ripe elements. On the first night the finish was clipped by the tannin but in a good way. There is no denying the fruit and acid. Despite the tannins this wine can be enjoyed all on its own while still being the anti cocktail. On the second night the finish had extended another 20 seconds. (95 pts.)

2001 Mauro Sebaste Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/15/2009)
Laura and I closed out our anniversary night by popping this and having a small glass. I know nothing about how this wine is made but there seemed to be some whole cluster. Aromatically it was slightly toasty as well. The aromatics were very nice. Spicy and earthy. The wine has a beautiful texture to go with the fruit, herbs and minerals. Solid tannin that goes on and on. Ripe yet elegant. On the second night I just wrote a small note, "Wow ... I am sorry but this fricken rocks!" A great wine. I am a new fan of Sebaste. 38 bucks well spent! (94 pts.)

2006 Copain Syrah James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/27/2009)
Had next to the Thompson over 3 days.
Aromatically this was a bit more Aussie like. Enjoyable. Mixture of mint, white pepper and a dusty element. Didn’t change much over the 3 days. This wine showed more fruit and less tannin, or at least the fruit was hiding the tannin. I really went back and forth on this wine. At times I found it uninteresting … and then later I found it very intriguing. In the end this was more up and down than the Thompson but equally as pleasurable. (91 pts.)

2006 Copain Syrah Thompson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (4/27/2009)
Had next to the James Berry over 3 days.
On the first night I found the aromas to be very rustic. Earthy, dusty and a bit weird. The weirdness sorted out later in the evening. As expected the wine did not show much on the palate early in the evening. Plush mouth feel and a strong tannic finish. Totally unresolved. Big tannin. On the third day the aromatics were balanced and expressive. And the palate was awake and alive. Flashy and medium bodied. Lots of berry fruit. Nice tannins on the finish. (91 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2 Mauro Sebaste and 2 Copain

by Jenise » Fri May 22, 2009 3:03 pm

I would never have the nerve to open a Barolo so young. Your excellent results tempt me....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: 2 Mauro Sebaste and 2 Copain

by Jason Hagen » Sat May 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Jenise wrote:I would never have the nerve to open a Barolo so young. Your excellent results tempt me....

Yeah it confounds conventional wisdom but these and a few other 04s have been drinking great for our palates. But we do like tannin.

J