The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: recent ness

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: recent ness

by Mark S » Fri May 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Nothing truly outstanding here. No wows, pows, or sockit-to-me punch.
A fading rose, neutrality of disposition, and a nervy little sucker.

Texier, Condrieu, 'Janrode', 2005
I know this man is treated by this board as a minor demi-god, but this wine begs the question: "What is Condrieu?" I look to Condrieu for wines with a flamboyant nose, and a fleshy body, perhaps even something with curves on its frame. Here we have a wine which, by admission, is well made, ...but not Conrieu. The nose is muted, with a lemon honeysuckle bent along with tickseed. Tastes more like a Friulian white than something made with viognier. Weird. Where's the exotic fruit and richness? Heady lemon and lime oils in the glass, a bitter almond finish. Has a dull mouthfeel despite having good acidity. For $40+, a pass. 12.5% B+

Domaine Joseph Voillot, Volnay, 'les Fremiets', 2004
Light translucent cranberry red color. Charcoal, green bean, and light red fruits on the nose, while the palate shows sweet-tart red fruits with a stronish wallop of acidity. Plenty of redcurrants and cranberry, with slight secondhand smoke filling the stem. B/B+ But can't complain at closeout pricing of less than $20.

Chateau du Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1996
As soon as I opened and poured and saw a rusty old maroon color, I thought, "oh oh", and was pretty much proved right. This wine is like going to your grandparents attic after they have died, and opening old trucks and chests and inhaling the old love letters, woolen sweaters, and bridal veils from times past. There is some old cedar closet, pressed roses from a book that have lost their color. In the mouth is some cherry liquer,worn cedar that has lost it's smell, old homemade blackberry or elderberry wine, stewed goji berries. Fading now, with iron oxide like tannins. Past it's prime, at least for this bottle. Thanks for the memories! B+

And 2 wines without extensive notes:

Andre Kientzler, Riesling, "Geisberg", 2002
My first time with this producer, who I've never seen before. Brisk, like squeezing an unripened grapefruit and sucking on it's peel brisk. Fine acids that kept this drinking fine for 4 days. 13% Not sure how this will age, because there is not a lot of dimension beyond the acid structure, but I feel it is young still. Puts Muscadet to shame as a tooth enamel sucker. B+

Rocca delle Macie, Chianti Classico, 2006
Haven't had one of these in years. A standard bearing Chinati. Nothing special, but nothing bad or truly sinister either. Decent ripe plum-cherry and licorice, a little soft. [90% sangiovese, 5% merlo, 5% canaiolo] B/B+
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: recent ness

by Jenise » Fri May 22, 2009 2:12 pm

Mark, I don't worship at the church of Texier--if only because I have only had two or three of his wines--but his Condreiu did have me swooning a year or so ago. It was, as you say, not a viognier of fleshy body, but the aromatics were heady and exquisite and I welcomed that over the heavy old-lady perfume I find in so many. To use a term I think I learned from you, it was "quietly powerful".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov