The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Inama Carmenere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2006 Inama Carmenere

by Jenise » Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 am

2006 Inama Carmenere, Veneto, Italy
Made from mostly carmenere with 20%ish merlot and 5%ish of an indigenous red grape called Raboso Veronese, this is carmenere like I've never had it before. A pretty nose of violets, plums and cola spice introduces medium bodied bright black cherry, plum and black currant fruit on the palate. There's no hint of underripeness, but there is the presence of a sweet green nonpeppery herb like parsley in the background. Moreover, there's none of the big soft chocolate bar of the Chileans nor the frisky graperfruit of the Washington carmeneres I've had. Trademark Italian acidity keeps everything lively and fresh. Very interesting and very good at $20 locally, and just right to take to a friend's house for a burger night. Made a plodding mess out of:

2007 Folie a Deux Menage a Trois, California
Has Folie a Deux become a Bronco label? What I remember as a tongue in cheek propretary name aimed in revenge at the straying partner of a small Napa winery I visited about 12 years ago is suddenly EVERYWHERE (including Rite Aid drug stores) and relatively cheap, like eight bucks, and as such I'm running into it a lot around the neighborhood. Our hosts served this last night after the Inama: big bodied with heavy sweet muddied fruit and massive oak and balanced in a goopy kind of way, this could not have been more unwelcome (to me) after the graceful Italian. Yet I can see the attraction to those who want to step up from Charles Shaw, or for whom bigger is better and $10 is almost too much to spend.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: 2006 Inama Carmenere

by Hoke » Fri May 22, 2009 11:38 am

Folie a Deux is not Bronco, Jenise. It's Trinchero/Sutter Home.

The original Folie a Deux estate/winery is now Trinchero Estates. Folie a Deux now has a tasting room located further south down valley.

Interesting writeup on the Inama Carmenere. What with all the Cabernet Franc in northern Italy that suddenly became Carmenere, I was wondering how long it would take before we saw Italian Carmenere hit the shelves. As you said, I think the Italian acidity would make all the difference in that grape. I'm eager to try it, and will be on the lookout for it. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Hoke wrote:Folie a Deux is not Bronco, Jenise. It's Trinchero/Sutter Home.

Okay, thanks. Almost same difference, though. :)

As you said, I think the Italian acidity would make all the difference in that grape. I'm eager to try it, and will be on the lookout for it.

Knowing especially your affection for the wines of the Veneto, yes you must. (Btw, why do we call it THE Veneto, not just Veneto?)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri May 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Jenise,

I had a red from Inama (who is more know for their whites) about 8 years or so ago and it had that herbal character to it. I can't remember the name of the wine (it was called something, not just after a grape variety) and was told it was mostly cabernet franc.

Mark
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri May 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know it, but there must be a a good story about "all the Cabernet Franc in northern Italy that suddenly became Carmenere." Hoke, would you or anyone care to tell it.

And Jenise, did you buy your 2006 Inama Carmenere in Seattle, where I can get some. Or barring that, who is the distributor?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri May 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Clint, when Chile suddenly "discovered" that what had been called Merlot was in fact Carmenere (through DNA typing), some comments by northern Italians came to light as well; subsequent investigation by the authorities and scientists revealed that much of what was purported to be Cabernet Franc (which is relatively popular and widely planted across northern Italy) was quite probably Carmenere. At the time I learned of this it was predicted that wholesale blocs of Franc might magically become Carmenere. :)

That never happened, obviously, but I did hear that some vineyards which were indeed Carmenere were being looked at closely. Seems the Carmenere, which didn't fare well in damp and cold Bordeaux, but thrived in warm and dry Chile, was also capable of being hearty in Italy. And apparently so.

It probably won't come as a surprise to you, either, that there are some rumors that there is a great deal more Pinot Grigio being produced than there are Pinot Grigio vineyards, Clint. Oh, well, all those other white grapes need homes too. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Clint Hall wrote:Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know it, but there must be a a good story about "all the Cabernet Franc in northern Italy that suddenly became Carmenere." Hoke, would you or anyone care to tell it.

And Jenise, did you buy your 2006 Inama Carmenere in Seattle, where I can get some. Or barring that, who is the distributor?

I bought it here in Bellingham, Clint. Re the distributor, no idea. But the Inama wines are around, so it shouldn't be hard to find someone who has it or will get it for you--I know I've bought the Soave at the wine store/deli in Pikes Place market.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat May 23, 2009 6:52 am

Jenise wrote:(Btw, why do we call it THE Veneto, not just Veneto?)

It's like The Marches, The Abruzzi, etc., but why some are and some aren't, I dunno.

I've also never understood why Porto became Oporto in English but Port didn't become Oport.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sat May 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Why THE Veneto? From IL Veneto.

I see Inama Carmenere is distributed by Quality Wine & Spirits.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sat May 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Jenise wrote:(Btw, why do we call it THE Veneto, not just Veneto?)

It's like The Marches, The Abruzzi, etc., but why some are and some aren't, I dunno.

I've also never understood why Porto became Oporto in English but Port didn't become Oport.

Perhaps O'Port sounds either a bit too Irish to be an English drink or a little Shakespearian?