The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Oakville Winery Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2006 Oakville Winery Cabernet Sauvignon

by Brian K Miller » Thu May 21, 2009 11:22 am

After work stop at Wine Styles late last night for a glass of wine and to chat with friends.

Napa Wine Company has changed its brand name. They are the large vineyard owner/custom crush facility ("Cult Wine Central") and winery located right at Oakville Crossroads at Hwy 29. "Oakville Winery" is still a pretty generic name, but I will grant that it is a better label name than "Napa Wine Company."

Anyway, the Cab was not bad at all. Past vintages of "Napa Wine Company" brand cabs were pretty oaky, but this bottle was more balanced. A good dark purple color with a ruby rim. Nose of mixed berry fruit, with currant, blackberry, and even some red fruits on the nose. Vannillin is way underneath-Otto might perceive it but it did not bother me. :wink:

On the palate, the Napa alcohol doesn't show, oak is underneath the fruit, not dominant, and the berry red and black fruit on the nose comes through. Good acidity and noticeable tannic structure as well...could this wine actually age for a few years?

Have to admit I was impressed. The wine was very,very young, of course, but I liked the structure quite a bit and the balance....it would describe this as a rather elegant Napa Cabernet! 90 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach