The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Laird Family "Dyer Ranch" Syrah (Paul Hobbs)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2003 Laird Family "Dyer Ranch" Syrah (Paul Hobbs)

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 am

Made by the (in)famous Paul Hobbs, whose wines, I must admit, I have quite enjoyed in the past; despite their new world style and oak and ripeness still seem to show good typicite and quite interesting character. Not that I can afford his current eponymous label cabs, which blazed past $150 years ago :?

Still, the Laird Family "pyramid" south of Yountville is where he started making his wines-and theirs.

Dyer Ranch is a (relatively) cool site in Napa Carneros.

This wine was actually in a very nice place.

Color: dark ruby...almost a Pinot-esque color?

Nose: Like many Syrahs, I enjoy sniffing this even more than drinking it! After the initial weirdness blew off (I was worried at first, I smelled JUNIPER berries) an amazing earthy, meaty, and BLACK PEPPERY nose with iron minerality.

Palate: On the palate, the pepper, meat, and iron show through as well, with black plum transforming over the evening into more blackberry and raspberry. This is a Napa Syrah that tastes like Syrah! Good palate-cleansing acidity, too, reflecting the chilly, difficult year???? Biggest complaint: the alcohol (14.8%) does show through. Not enough to ruin the wine, but....
Solid 90 points. The nose alone might merit 93 points!

This was one of the first winery visits I made when I started obsessing over wine three or four years ago. I was quite happy to see how well it aged.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach