The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hamel Syrah '94...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Hamel Syrah '94...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 20, 2009 10:06 am

Cracked last night w/ pasta al forno:
1. Hamel SonomaCnty Syrah (Vitis Allobrogica?, 80% AlegriaVnyd/20% BradfordMtn; 14.4%) 1994: Med.dark murky color w/ tons of sediment; rather bretty/horsecollar strong plummy/blackberry/Syrah bit spicy/raspberry/Zin-like slight herbal light toasty/oak some old Zin/cedary interesting nose; soft somewhat tannic/dried-out some bretty/horsecollar plummy/blackberry/Syrah much old-Zin/cedary flavor; med.long tannic/dried out plummy/blackberry/Zin-like rather bretty/horsecollar finish; some interesting things therein but a bit too unclean/bretty and too dried-out/tannic.
1. On its release, this was a stunning wine that had huge blackberry/Syrah fruit and the structure to carry it out 10+ yrs. After a few yrs, the brett started to raise its ugly head and it became a bit too bretty for me. Never did offer up the pleasure it did upon release and certainly not going to now. I was struck by the amount of sediment. I'd stood it upright two days before, and there was still a lot of suspended stuff.
The VitisAllobrogica? on the label refers to the now-abandoned thought that Syrah was not a member of the VitisVinifera family, but some other Vitis from up in the Savoie. Of course, DNA has shown that wrong and that Syrah is a cross betwixt MondeuseBlanche & Deureza, two of the most undistinguished parents a kid could ever have.
Haven't had nor seen any of KevinHamel's recent wines so don't know what he's doing now. He was onetime winemaker for LouPreston.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Hamel Syrah '94...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Wed May 20, 2009 10:32 am

Tom; you'll be thrilled to know that Kevin is stomping grapes with your old pal Alice Feiring! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:Tom; you'll be thrilled to know that Kevin is stomping grapes with your old pal Alice Feiring! :D

I recall reading in something of hers a reference to Kevin. Guess you're known by the company you keep!!
Tom