The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Monterey Wineries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Monterey Wineries

by Gary Barlettano » Tue May 19, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm going to be in Monterey this coming weekend. If you could only visit one wine tasting venue, where would you go? I am Bonny-Dooned out for the time being.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Monterey Wineries

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 am

Talbott in Carmel Valley if you're a Pinot. Galante, further up the valley if you're a Cab.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu May 21, 2009 11:16 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Talbott in Carmel Valley if you're a Pinot. Galante, further up the valley if you're a Cab.

Despite the irony in a Novo Hampshirian giving a Californirian winery suggestions, I appreciate your tips. I don't usually get down farther than the Livermore Valley anymore. (Livermore and Napa are at 35 minutes of road time equidistant from where I pitch my tent.) When I was still a carpetbagger, I got down to Salinas a lot which is not far from Monterey, but that stupid little thing called "work" kept me from hitting the wineries. I did, however, take an intern from Texas (a guy, unfortunately) over to Monterey. We had spent the day visiting the produce growers and packers in Salinas. He was 26 years old and had never seen the ocean. Monterey was a good place to start his ocean viewing. I think I infected him with my extreme romanticism. He quit a couple of days later to take a job closer to nature. If my winery visit turns out to be anything, I will be sure to post it. Thank you, again.
And now what?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu May 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Talbott is a good suggestion. It's close enough that you might be able to include Bernardus as well (also in Carmel Valley.) My third recommendation would be Chateau Julien, also in Carmel Valley. If you can spare a few hours and haven't been there before (or even if you have), try to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Terrific displays.

(I lived in Monterey County for three years in the 80's and three years in the 90's and have visited several times since then. I know Carl has also spent time in the region.)

http://www.bernardus.com/winery/
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu May 21, 2009 12:45 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Talbott is a good suggestion. It's close enough that you might be able to include Bernardus as well (also in Carmel Valley.) My third recommendation would be Chateau Julien, also in Carmel Valley. If you can spare a few hours and haven't been there before (or even if you have), try to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Terrific displays.

(I lived in Monterey County for three years in the 80's and three years in the 90's and have visited several times since then. I know Carl has also spent time in the region.)

http://www.bernardus.com/winery/

Thanks, JC, despite DLI's not wanting me, I have also spent a lot of time in Monterey County, oddly just not with the wine! Strange, eh? I like to sit at the tidal pools to "veg out" and also go to visit the monarch butterflies on their way to Mexico and back. I went on a whale watch once, but I got so seasick that I was ill for a week. It was the beginning of the end of my second marriage! But if I mention Carmel to Zari, she might agree to going to more than one winery! We're planning on taking the long ride down the coastline starting just south of San Francisco before we check into the hotel. There's an Italian restaurant in Half Moon Bay which we like. Usually, I'd pick up Bonny Doon on the way down, but I'm looking for something different. I will definitely scout out your suggestions!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 21, 2009 2:27 pm

Concur with the Bernardus recommendation. As we've personally told JC, we're not big fans of Chateau Julien. On two separated visists separated by three years, we were greeted by the most air headed pourer we have ever met anywhere. The wines were not that great either. Typical exchange: Why do you bottle both a Pinot Gris and a Pinot Grigio? Because they are different grapes! Well, maybe you have different clones, but the grape variety is the same. NO IT ISN'T!!! I honastly don't believe it was a case of geek versus poor little girl. Could go on and on, but won't.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu May 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Concur with the Bernardus recommendation. As we've personally told JC, we're not big fans of Chateau Julien. On two separated visists separated by three years, we were greeted by the most air headed pourer we have ever met anywhere. The wines were not that great either. Typical exchange: Why do you bottle both a Pinot Gris and a Pinot Grigio? Because they are different grapes! Well, maybe you have different clones, but the grape variety is the same. NO IT ISN'T!!! I honastly don't believe it was a case of geek versus poor little girl. Could go on and on, but won't.

You can only be honest. Some of my bummer experiences in wineries run counter to the general trend, although I have given places second and third chances (those with free tastings) and have sometimes had my mind changed.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue May 26, 2009 2:34 am

OK, so we didn't go any of those places! Chateau Julien was closed. Talbott didn't have any convenient parking. (Lots of turistas!!). And I kind of blew by Bernardus by accident. Nothing like planning, eh? Anyway, we stopped at Boekenoogen because the parking was convenient and it was on the side of the road we were on. We tried an '06 and '07 chardonnay, an '06 and '07 pinot noir, and an '06 syrah, all from the Santa Lucia Highlands. They were all quite typical for the respective grape varieties. The '06 chardonnay was one of those oaky, buttery beasts. The '07 was leaner. Both pinots had been drug through the chicken coop. (Me likey that.) The '06, however, had a eucalyptussy tingle to it. The '07 was less surprising. The syrah had its share of lardons floating in the barrel but it was lighter than I am accustomed to. Nice folks, poured a bit too quickly, didn't talk much about the wine ... and the owner was pouring! Prices were from the mid 30 to low 50 smacker range. Drink it, yes. Buy it uhhhhh ..? Visit, sure.

2009_05_24_monterey_011 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And now what?