The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I need a stout ax

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: I need a stout ax

by Saina » Tue May 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Clos Triguedina Cahors "Prince Probus" 2000 (label) 13% abv; c.33€

This is a beautiful wine. It is a meaty, wild wine with some Provençal herbs. It has a lovely, tannic structure, too, and quite a wonderful purity of fruit.

But can anyone lend me an ax or perhaps a chainsaw? Most annoyingly there is a stout oak door between the wine and I, and I would like to knock it down.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: I need a stout ax

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Wine Tasting Note of the Month! :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Wed May 20, 2009 3:19 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Wine Tasting Note of the Month! :mrgreen:

Seconded. :)
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 pm

As to oak....a wine was recently released in Israel (I will not mention the wine or the winery as the winemaker is suing me and my newspaper for my negative note), the wine aged for 24 months in new oak and then transfered for another 24 months to even newer oak. I was tempted to write that at the price it is being released (over $100 per bottle) the winemaker should have provided each bottle with a tweezers for removing the oak splinters from the tongue and throat. Fortunately, good taste did not allow me to write that. Otherwise he might be suing me twice.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 20, 2009 12:39 pm

I once owned a wine that had seen "200% new oak." It had spent 12 months in new French oak then 12 more in new American oak. It tasted like someone had marinated a desk in dill weed.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed May 20, 2009 4:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I once owned a wine that had seen "200% new oak." It had spent 12 months in new French oak then 12 more in new American oak. It tasted like someone had marinated a desk in dill weed.

A mid-'90s Laurent Burg, David? Or were other winemakers pursuing that paradigm?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I know the Numanthia 'Termanthia' cuvee also goes through 200% new oak. That said, I had the 00 and 05 some time ago and while I'm normally not that fond of big oaky wines, I enjoyed those (and the rest of the Numanthia lineup) much more than I'd expected I would - the Termanthias were very well made wines and the '00 in particular was really stunning with the oak integrating really well among all the fruit and richness of the wine and serious structure underneath keeping it in check.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I once owned a wine that had seen "200% new oak." It had spent 12 months in new French oak then 12 more in new American oak. It tasted like someone had marinated a desk in dill weed.

A mid-'90s Laurent Burg, David? Or were other winemakers pursuing that paradigm?

Mark Lipton

1998 Matthews Cellars Syrah
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 20, 2009 6:54 pm

My favorite still was the foothills cabernet the winemaker proudly announced had spent 48 months in new American oak. Urp. It tasted like a dill-based salad dressing.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach