The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Concha Y Toro "Don Melchor"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2003 Concha Y Toro "Don Melchor"

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 am

I've not had that much experience or frankly pleasure with Chilean cabs, but I pulled this bottle from my cellar for Beau's Blues Monday.

This seems to be a "serious" wine...very "masculine" in character, and they are obviously trying very hard here. Nose shows dark roasted coffee, plum, some vanillin from the oak, and a hint of fumeyness (California level of alcohol at 14.5%). On the palate, the tannins are definitely present...this is a seriously STRUCTURED wine, yet they remain approachable and the wine softened over the evening. Fruit is definitely plum with some currant, but there is also an interesting vegetal note adding another layer of interest that makes then wine more interesting, imo. Just a hint...nothing dominant or obtrusive. Despite the extraction, I liked this wine quite a bit...there is something primal here, even with the manipulation. It finishes quite savory. Interesting enough, the vanillin on the nose was nowhere on the palate. 90 points. Bravo!

Also: 2007 William Fevre Chablis "Champs Royaux." I really like this chardonnay. Very little oak shows through. good acidity and bright lemon/citrus fruit. There is a delicious bright tangyness in the minerality here. This may sound weird, but the tangyness is almost like a white wine version of good Chianti tangyness. Delicious 90 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: 2003 Concha Y Toro "Don Melchor"

by Carl Eppig » Tue May 19, 2009 11:28 am

Could that "vegetal note" be the true Cabernet characteristic that we don't see much of anymore?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 19, 2009 11:53 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Could that "vegetal note" be the true Cabernet characteristic that we don't see much of anymore?

Yep :)

I don't know, though, that such a vegetal note is completely unknown, even in basic entry level bottlings like Beaulieu Knight's Valley there is some green-ness. Some vintages are worse than others-

I don't like green notes to dominate. Like the weird Western Australian cab we drank the other night-it tasted of green jalapeno juice. :evil:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Brian, you should really seek out an older bottle. That 'something primal' you mentioned morphs into something very attractive in a boy-girl kind of way as these wines age. A '96 recently reminded me how much I like that :oops: , and so I purchased some 04's for our cellar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Cool, Jenise.

We actually have a very good local upscale grocery chain, Nugget Market, in the Vacaville-Davis-Woodland-Sacramento area that carries that very same 2004.

The one "issue" I am having right now is that, screen nickname aside, my favorite single wine remains Cabernet/Bordeaux Blends. I am probably drinking wines like the Don Melchor too soon when I have other, more timely wines to drink. :roll:
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 pm

I've enjoyed the William Fevre Chablis "Champs Royaux" by the glass or half bottle at restaurants (earlier vintage a couple years ago.) It seems to be reliable.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 20, 2009 2:57 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I've enjoyed the William Fevre Chablis "Champs Royaux" by the glass or half bottle at restaurants (earlier vintage a couple years ago.) It seems to be reliable.

I am guessing that is a good description, JC. I don't have a very developed palate for Chardonnay so I am sure there are more transcendent Chablis out there, but I just find it slurpably good.
:mrgreen: