The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Massolino Dolcetto d'Alba

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 Massolino Dolcetto d'Alba

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue May 19, 2009 7:19 am

2006 Massolino Dolcetto d'Alba 14.5%
Otto wrote good things about this producer so I picked up a bottle of their Dolcetto, though, on retrospect, something higher up on their totem pole might have been a better introduction. Aroma is initially plum and tar, later developing some iodine and chocolate. Marcia got fresh oregano and thought the fruit closer to prunes. Before food, the acidity is prominent, as due and proper. Marcia likes it a lot. There is also a surprising amount of tannin: medium, when I expected close to none. The alcohol makes it slightly hot at first, but that sensation disappers with food (a very nice Woolwich Dairy Triple Cream Goat Brie from Canada and a disappointingly dry Boule de Périgord with truffles). Once it (or we) reached cruising altitude and settled down, it was a solid bottle of decent stuff, but hardly enough to make me run for more. But will seek the Barbera.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 2006 Massolino Dolcetto d'Alba

by Ian Sutton » Tue May 19, 2009 1:52 pm

I recall a comment (perhaps here) from someone bemoaning the poor quality / qpr of Dolcettos from very good Barolo producers. I don't have enough evidence myself to agree/disagree with the proposition.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue May 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:There is also a surprising amount of tannin: medium, when I expected close to none.

When Franco Massolino was here, he explained that his Dolcetto is structured more by tannins and his Barbera more by acidity. I think from what little I've tasted of these two grapes, I think that might be a fair generalization for other producers, too. Some Dolcettos I have found disappointingly acidless and IIRC some from over on Therapy/Disorder hardly bother with the grape at all because of this very reason.

It was however, the 2007, that I tasted of the basic Dolcetto and Barbera so I have no idea how it will compare with the '06. And also, I don't want or expect Dolcetto and Barbera to be very serious wines, but something joyful (never underestimate joyfulness in wine!) and food friendly and with a fast evaporation rate. The '07 was all that and I still remember it with fondness.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue May 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I don't want or expect Dolcetto and Barbera to be very serious wines, but something joyful (never underestimate joyfulness in wine!) and food friendly and with a fast evaporation rate. The '07 was all that and I still remember it with fondness.

Agreed, at this level I'm basically looking for joy, not depth. This didn't give it, but then again I'm much more often pleased with Barberas than Dolcettos.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.