The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN's: An evening of California and Oregon Pinots

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TN's: An evening of California and Oregon Pinots

by Michael Malinoski » Mon May 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Our regular group got together Saturday night to drink through some new world Pinot Noir. We had some tasty cheeses and a nice home-cooked chicken and rice dish to go with the wines. A 23-year old wine and one from Marin county were my wines of the night--it's always great to be surprised!

1996 A.R. Lenoble Champagne Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru. This was compliments of Adam and Ann (as were the ’05 Shea and the ’02 Andromeda). It is a very nice sipping wine—with an aged ginger ale character on the nose, along with aromas of marzipan, hazelnut and dried honey in support. It is rather vibrant and lively in the mouth, with a fine lemon sourball intensity of flavor, but also a honeyed complexity of burnished age all around the edges. It is tangy, tingly and at times earthy, with grapefruit rind and dark honey accenting the moderate finish. Overall, I thought this was a fine showing for this bottling.

2006 Chasseur Pinot Noir Vin Gris Sonoma Coast. Our other starter was from the cellar of our host, who proclaimed it to be a give-away to members of the Chasseur wine club. Overall, a nice freebie, indeed! A dark salmon color leads to a nose featuring pomegranate, fresh strawberry, lime pulp and spring flowers. Later on, it turns a bit earthier, bringing in some ash rub and powdered mineral accents. It has a surprising thickness of texture in the mouth for a rose, and has more of a bass note than one might normally expect. Still, it remains pretty and fruity with tangy red berries and pretty spice riding on top. It is clean, but one would not describe it as sharp or crisp—showing good balance for its weight and staying true to itself throughout. A nice surprise and a good rose to drink on its own.

1985 Chalone Vineyard Pinot Noir Reserve Chalone. As usual, it was up to Ed to teach us whipper-snappers about the benefits of aging certain producers, and here was a lesson well worth learning. This Chalone is an outstanding wine and a testament to how wine was made there once upon a time. First off, it is a very healthy color. And the nose right out of the gate displays a fabulous depth, where one can bask in the core of sweet mixed berry puree, chalky limestone and a touch of musty and sweet scorched-earth funk. There is also a bit of chocolate in there at times and the whole is just simply very attractive and rich without any hint of jamminess or heat. In the mouth, it shows off an elegant, silky-smooth texture even though there are some soft but clear whispers of plush tannins and a firm structure still in place. Mixed blue and black berries and warm caramel notes flow along easily, though there is perhaps just a bit of a leathery feel to it all around the edges of the tongue. The finish is open-knit and perhaps a bit less focused, but pure, finely dry and wonderfully balanced. I could drink the whole bottle without blinking, I suspect. WOTN.

2005 Shea Wine Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Shea Vineyard Willamette Valley. This wine opens with a good hit of stemmy, herbal aromas on the nose, along with scents of malt and ferocious briery berries that give the whole thing a sort of wild character. That profile thankfully begins to subside after a while, however, as warm pure red cherry and raspberry fruit begin to quietly emerge from the fury and give this a more inviting profile. All the while, the palate here provides a gentle but obvious sweetness of fruit, spice and fine-grained wood flavors that hang together well amidst some decent acidic vibrancy. The woody tannins grow a bit on a finish that still manages to be lively and fully-fruited, while also being dry and balanced. I have to say I started out not caring for the wine, but it did come around eventually and ought to be even better with more cellar time.

2006 Dobbes Family Estate Pinot Noir Quailhurst Vineyard Chehalem Mountain. The aromas of this wine are way up on the high end of the exotic scale, showing off all kinds of crushed raspberries, spiced fruitcake and mace notes. It is gentle and medium-bodied but deeply sweet-fruited in the mouth, with tangy sour cherry flavors accented by big spicecake notes. It is exceptionally creamy in texture, with some vanilla and oak fully framing that core of deep sour cherry compote. It displays some late lift and freshness--actually finishing a bit fizzy, with some interesting herbal elements coming in to add greater complexity. Overall, this is a lot of fun to drink and is devoid of much tannin interference, but also seems to hint at a more serious side that will perhaps grow more pronounced over the next few years. My #3 wine of the night.

2007 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast. This is rather cloudy in appearance and features an open nose of vanilla and raspberry, along with high-toned rhubarb. It is young and primary, but intense and engaging. In the mouth, there is vanilla and sweet cherry flavor galore, tinged by a hint of youthful heat. It is really expressive with the big sweet fruit core sticking out front. The texture is creamy and matted, though with some high-polished gloss toward the finish--which is long, spicy and tingly. This is a promising youngster that really ought to be held at least a year or so.

2005 Chasseur Pinot Noir Sylvia’s Russian River Valley. This wine is wide-open and welcoming, as the bouquet lifts effortlessly up out of the glass--featuring a huge core of lovely spiced blueberries and very ripe raspberries and a faint dusting of chocolate powder. It displays much the same personality in the mouth, as the wild brambly berry fruit is hugely mouth-filling, open and exuberantly forward. As with many of the other wines tonight, though, it is not at all syrupy, blousy or over-done despite all of the sweet warm fruit shining through. Indeed, it manages to seem pretty at times, especially on the lengthy, cheerful finish. It may be on the cocktail wine side of the spectrum, but I for one would be happy to drink it in any setting.

2006 Big Basin Pinot Noir Branciforte Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains. The Big Basin represents a stylistic shift toward higher-toned aromas of brambly mountain berries, white pepper, dirt and more obvious Pinot funk all around. Like the previous few wines, it is openly fruity and forward, but with a considerably more tannic bite. It is more linear and honed, and does have a bit of heat on the finish, but is otherwise well-focused. It has a fleshy feel, but tangier, more lifted fruit than most others in the line-up. It is a vibrant wine with a good deal of personality and a good future ahead of it and represents a very good find from a producer I was not previously acquainted with.

2006 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Diane’s Block Klein Family Mountain Vineyard Santa Cruz Mountains. The Windy Oaks is a bit dull and cloudy in color and presents a more herbal, smoky and stemmy aromatic profile than the Big Basin. Rhubarb, cranberry, ground nutmeg and other brown spices round out the zingy bouquet. In the mouth, it is seamless but lively—with lifted red fruit in the form of sour cherry and raspberry in effortless abundance. It is full-bodied, intense, and tangy, tangy, tangy. It returns to its herbal, minty roots toward the back and on the finish of the palate, which also shows some mocha and chocolate dusting.

2002 Sean Thackrey Pinot Noir Andromeda Devil’s Gulch Ranch Marin County. Deep aromas of sweet creosote, incense, blackberry pie, clove and Christmas fruitcake are super-sexy and aromatically intoxicating. On the palate, this wine shows the stickiest, richest tannins of all the wines and also the most resounding bass note. It is extremely concentrated, maybe even a bit corpulent in texture, and there is a lot going on flavor-wise—all at a high decibel level. It is definitely rich, but gorgeously flavored and super sexy with spices and lush black fruit. It reminds me of the 2002 Paul Hobbs Hyde Vineyard pinot back on release—a wine I also liked a great deal. This was my #2 wine of the night.

2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Koplen Vineyard Russian River Valley. The Kosta Browne is by far the darkest-colored wine of the night. It opens on the nose with aromas of wild blueberries, wood spices and lots of stemmy qualities. But then a massive secondary wave comes in and literally burns the nostrils with an intensity of bright cherry, raspberry and spice aromas. The wine has a massive amount of glycerin on the tongue, though the fruit does not feel as thick as the Andromeda. However, it is more intense. Sweet rhubarb, cranberry, tons of spices and a tingly prickle of heat roll across the palate as the tannins grow to eventually coat the teeth. This can definitely go a long while and would probably have been better to hold. The wine has a very unique character and really stands apart from the crowd and I’m intrigued to see how it develops.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN's: An evening of California and Oregon Pinots

by Jenise » Wed May 20, 2009 7:24 am

What a great read--I love your detailed tasting notes.

And what a nice thing to read about the Dobbes Quailhurst, a wine (well, the 04 anyway) that was the major discovery of our October 07 trip to Willamette. I had not even heard of the winery before, but it was highly reccomended by our server at Nick's restaurant in McMinneville one night and I was completely bewitched by it. At $75 a bottle it was no bargain, but I couldn't resist buying a few bottles to bring home because of all the things you found in your 06. Have you had any other Dobbes wines? The quality is across the board--I even bought one of his syrahs, which are more reasonably priced. And his viognier is ethereal.

Would love to taste that Thackeray, too. Had no idea that wine even existed, but Sean's wines are never boring.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 20, 2009 7:37 am

Corpulent is a great word to describe not only Sean's 2002 Pinot, but almost all of his wines. They are never short on body. I've only ever had Thackrey Pinot Noir one time, but I found it a bit too much for me. The thing I will say is that the fruit and tannin are both huge, so perhaps with a lot of time (revisit in say 17 more years) it might become something a little more like Pinot Noir.

I've had the opportunity to drink some older Chalone wines with one of my tasting groups, and up through about the mid-80s they are some of the best California wines I have had.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 20, 2009 12:43 pm

A couple from another wine forum I frequent are big fans of Joe Dobbes's wines. They brought a cuvee Pinot Noir to a dinner and I really liked it. Have toyed with ordering from the winery but the prices are getting up their, especially for the Quailhurst.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed May 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks, Jenise! I had definitely never heard of the Dobbes Family before. Our host opened this bottle and I will have to ask him where he got it. I do recall that the label of the wine said only 227 cases of the '06 Quailhurst had been made--so that would help explain the unfamiliarity a lot of us would have with it. I'd like to have a crack at an '04 to see how these evolve. But I agree that the $75 price point makes the proposition of buying one a bit iffy. Had no idea (and never would have suspected) that they also make (any) good Viognier!

David, this was my second Thackrey wine ever. I had an '00 Orion Old Vines two years ago that just wasn't my cup of tea and I had sort of mentally ignored the e-mails friends sent me urging me to share their allocations. And even though this Pinot was way out there on the thickness scale (and would be hard to envision pairing with many traditional pinot pairing dishes), it really won me over with its sexiness and welcoming personality. So, I am now going to be more open-minded when I see future offerings.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 20, 2009 3:28 pm

JC (NC) wrote:A couple from another wine forum I frequent are big fans of Joe Dobbes's wines. They brought a cuvee Pinot Noir to a dinner and I really liked it. Have toyed with ordering from the winery but the prices are getting up their, especially for the Quailhurst.

The pricing is definitely prohibitive on that one, but his Grande Assemblage at $25 is a bargain--I bought their last nine bottles of whatever vintage they were on, and I'm thinking it was 05, when we were at the winery that time. And we've already drunk them all. Every time I needed a reasonably priced pinot, I pulled that or the Cottonwood Marina Piper. I guess I need a lot of reasonably priced pinots because the CMP's are gone, too. :oops:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

More about Dobbes, here's the TN I posted way back when on the Grande Assemblage:

2005 Dobbes Family Estate Pinot Noir V, Grande Assemblage Cuvee, Dundee, OR, 13.5%, $25 at the winery
One of the best bargains in Oregon at $25 from one of the more Burgundian pinot noir makers I've had wines from. That is, Joe Dobbes coaxes more complexity out of a grape than most, and his wines have lovely acidity and balance without heavy extract or noticeable oak. This is another bottle started Friday night and finished Saturday that survived casual care and yet sung even more brightly. I like his wines SO much I'm even thinking about joining the club. His syrahs and whites (especially the viognier) are just as good.

And here's my note on the '05 Quailhurst, which sounds a lot like Mike's 06:

2005 Dobbes Family "Quailhurst" Pinot Noir, Dundee, Oregon
Now THIS is my style of pinot. It's not huge, it's not light, it's not rustic: it's elegantly sexy, harmonious, exotic. The winery was completely unknown to me when we ordered it in a restaurant last week, but it opened slowly with sedate, on-point pinot red fruit and built up slowly over two hours and several courses. There was something new every time I picked up the glass: sun-dried tomatoes, basil, cardamom spice, lavendar. Easily one of the best Oregon pinots I've ever had, and though I balked at the $65 retail and wouldn't have risked that on a mere taste, after spending an evening with a bottle there was simply no question about acquiring some. Not easy to find since it's a small production wine of around 500 cases, but worth seeking out for the true pinot fanatic (Jason, Jimmy, are you listening?) and you can order direct from the winery. The winemaker estimates the wine will peak around 2012.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Thu May 21, 2009 2:49 pm

Jenise, there are advantages to living in the big city. Last week Joe Dobbes did a tasting at the Esquin wine shop near downtown Seattle. He poured his Wine by Joe PN and PG, plus the Dobbes Viogner, 04 Griffins Cuvee and 05 Quailhurst. Not bad for a free Thursday night tasting. Best of all the Quailhurst was for sale for only $62, so I grabbed a couple. Joe was fun to chat with. We added his winery to the weekend itinerary.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 22, 2009 10:40 am

Ray Juskiewicz wrote:Jenise, there are advantages to living in the big city. Last week Joe Dobbes did a tasting at the Esquin wine shop near downtown Seattle. He poured his Wine by Joe PN and PG, plus the Dobbes Viogner, 04 Griffins Cuvee and 05 Quailhurst. Not bad for a free Thursday night tasting. Best of all the Quailhurst was for sale for only $62, so I grabbed a couple. Joe was fun to chat with. We added his winery to the weekend itinerary.

I'm envious! It's pretty cool that he popped the big daddy in his line-up at a freebie. And I'm glad the wine impressed you since we've bonded on other Oregon pinots.