The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Importers you can count on..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Importers you can count on..

by JuliaB » Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 am

One of my favorites, Vintner Select, isn't listed, but the article is interesting. Who are your 'go to' importers?

http://www.slate.com/id/2217806/?GT1=38001

Cheers!
JuliaB
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Importers you can count on..

by James Roscoe » Sun May 17, 2009 12:41 pm

He lists most of the importers I look for. I wish I didn't have to drive to McArthur's to get Dressner imports locally.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun May 17, 2009 12:46 pm

JuliaB wrote: Who are your 'go to' importers?

Top of my list would be Louis/Dressner and Rosenthal, along with Thiese and Rudi Wiest for Germany.
Oliver McCrum (I actually almost typed "Crumwell", some weird blend of Italian wine importer & English politician!) has a stellar selection on Italian wines, which we don't get on East Coast, but which is at least partially mirrored by an Eastern importer called Selected Estates of Europe.
Daniel Johnnes is usually good for less expensive Burgundy (Macon).
Jenny and Francois bring in good "natural" wines, but I find a little more uneven.
I'd say Kacher, Solomon, or de Grazia on label to me means likely good quality, but maybe stylistically not my fave. So I might buy for a $8 wine, but pass on a $25+ one.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Peter Weygandt consistently brings us wines that honor the traditions of their place of origin. He never tells a winemaker "do it this way." My only complaint about Peter, from a retailer perspective, is his continuing resistance to putting barcodes on his labels. He told us once that he didn't do it because his restaurant accounts didn't like it, but I don't buy it. Retailers sell more of his bottles than restaurants, by a large margin, and in any event the barcodes don't have to be large. I can't tell whether he's being cheap or lazy about this. I don't want to make a big deal about it, it's a minor irritant, but it is an irritant nonetheless.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Sort of off topic, but I was at a party with several Kacher employees last night. I got to talking with one of the interns from Paris, and we were discussing which aspect of the business I would want to be in if I were to pursue a career in the industry. I mentioned that importing seemed appealing on many levels, but that I imagined that it could tend towards a slightly more myopic (can't think of exactly the word I want) experience when it comes to being exposed regularly to a wide variety of wines (whereas retail or education would provide a much broader sampling on a regular basis). Then I mentioned the names of some of other importers who were somewhat familiar to me, like Dressner, Lynch, and Drouhin, but this kid had no idea who I was talking about. I've also had conversations with one of their long time employees about other importers, and again not much knowledge.

Anyway, I digress. I've only been really into wine for a couple of years now, so I don't yet have a favorite importer. But having consumed a fair number of Kacher imports, I would agree with Dale's opinion on the price point.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote:I mentioned the names of some of other importers who were somewhat familiar to me, like Dressner, Lynch, and Drouhin, but this kid had no idea who I was talking about. I've also had conversations with one of their long time employees about other importers, and again not much knowledge..

I've also seen this in retail, when employees get such great discounts from their employer that they have fewer incentives to explore producers available elsewhere. So it's not always a lack of interest. Although I guess it ends up in the same place as your point.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun May 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I've also seen this in retail, when employees get such great discounts from their employer that they have fewer incentives to explore producers available elsewhere. So it's not always a lack of interest. Although I guess it ends up in the same place as your point.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you expand on this? I'm a retailer, and I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but can you expand on this? I'm a retailer, and I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

I'm not saying it's a general rule or anything but more than a few employees of wine shops that I have met in various countries were very well versed in the wines they sold, in part because they were able to buy wines from their shops at attractive discounts. All of the shops were first-rate (why else would I be shopping there :wink:) so it's not like these folks were being forced to drink bad wine. But some of these employees did not really spend much time to seek out other regions not covered in their shop (or other producers from the regions they did cover), in part because they would have to pay full retail price.

I'm not saying all retail people are like this, just an observation from more than a few employees.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun May 17, 2009 10:37 pm

My wife sent me the same article the other day..A substantial portion of our cellar comes from these importers..Dale's list covers qutie a few of my sources. Wd add Winebow, Skurnik and Ordonez to that list.. I am a big fan of Harmon Skurnik and the wines he carries..
Jon
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun May 17, 2009 11:21 pm

JuliaB wrote:One of my favorites, Vintner Select, isn't listed, but the article is interesting. Who are your 'go to' importers?

Cheers!
JuliaB

I would say that a lot of that list was unknown to me while most of the names that I enjoy were present, with the same exception you noted. That struck me as strange because the author quotes David Schildknecht quite a bit; before he headed to WA full time, David worked for Vintner Select. Probably the e-mag exhibiting the usual NYC/East Coast myopia when it comes to things cultural. ;)
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon May 18, 2009 7:16 pm

MikeH wrote:
JuliaB wrote:One of my favorites, Vintner Select, isn't listed, but the article is interesting. Who are your 'go to' importers?

Cheers!
JuliaB

I would say that a lot of that list was unknown to me while most of the names that I enjoy were present, with the same exception you noted. That struck me as strange because the author quotes David Schildknecht quite a bit; before he headed to WA full time, David worked for Vintner Select. Probably the e-mag exhibiting the usual NYC/East Coast myopia when it comes to things cultural. ;)

Mike,

I thought exactly the same thing about David Schildknecht not mentioning Vintner Select, perhaps he did in his WA article.

No doubt others here are more savvy about the various importers, but I found the "cheat sheet" helpful. Of course, I knew DeGrazia specialized in Italian wines, Lynch for French, but assumed Kacher was "everywhere" ,and that Epicurian also handled European wines. Not mentioned was Frederick Wildman & Sons. What is their specialty region?

JB
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but can you expand on this? I'm a retailer, and I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

I'm not saying it's a general rule or anything but more than a few employees of wine shops that I have met in various countries were very well versed in the wines they sold, in part because they were able to buy wines from their shops at attractive discounts. All of the shops were first-rate (why else would I be shopping there :wink:) so it's not like these folks were being forced to drink bad wine. But some of these employees did not really spend much time to seek out other regions not covered in their shop (or other producers from the regions they did cover), in part because they would have to pay full retail price.

I'm not saying all retail people are like this, just an observation from more than a few employees.

It is the first duty of retailers to know their own stock. It is their next duty to know the wine world. Maybe because I work in the United States, where people move around a lot (well..at least they used to...) I've never met anybody who only ever worked at one store, and only knew that store's inventory. Also, any decent U.S. wine store carries wines from all around the world (very different, I know, from most European shops). Hence my initial incomprehension.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:I've never met anybody who only ever worked at one store, and only knew that store's inventory..

Ok. I'm sure you know more retail folks than I do. The ones I met might be outliers.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Primarily for the ITB people here although others may know the answer(s): To what extent are importing deals exclusive? Is it the norm that a foreign producer will only sell to a single company for importation into the U. S.? Are importers typically moving product into one country only? Or do the big players import into many countries?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Tue May 19, 2009 3:09 pm

I have to give a shout-out to Robert Chadderdon though the wines he imports tend to be towards the high end of the price spectrum, but classics of their respective types (e.g. Mascarello in Barolo, Quintarelli in Negrar). Also, Mr. Chadderdon was extremely gracious back in 1995, having assisted my father, his (then) enologist: Celestion Gaspari, and me in our tasting tour of Gigondas, St. Joseph, Cornas, Cote-Rotie, and Hermitage.

marco
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm

MikeH wrote:To what extent are importing deals exclusive?

It varies.

Is it the norm that a foreign producer will only sell to a single company for importation into the U. S.?

It depends on the size of the importer and the size of the producer. A big producer with one big importer may be able to spread wine all over the U.S. Or, a big producer could use several smaller importers to cover several U.S. markets. I think some importers might like to get exclusive deals because they have more control over the distribution, but whether or not that suits the needs of producers probably varies. It might make things easier on them administratively but then it also reduces their options/concentrates the risk in one company.

Are importers typically moving product into one country only? Or do the big players import into many countries?

I don't know of importers who import to more than one country (as they are usually based in the receiving country and laws/infrastructure differ from country to country). Producers (big and small) certainly export to several countries. Spreads their fame, diversifies their risk, and shares their product with a broader range of consumers.

Of course I'm not ITB, so I'm sure someone else can come along with a more precise account.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Rahsaan is right. It varies. Using a couple of examples I know well - J. J. Prum has non-exclusive arrangements with a number of importers, some of which cover identical regions. Donnhoff has one official importer, but is gray marketed by a few more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Kysela, an importer I have acquired confidence in in addition to many listed in this thread (it did make the Slate list, though).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned Kysela, an importer I have acquired confidence in in addition to many listed in this thread (it did make the Slate list, though).

Jenise, I too am a big fan of Kysela imports, and have been for some years now. I will say though that the Kysela imports in my market have taken such large price increases that I don't often buy them anymore. Of course, that doesn't mean I wouldn't get back on them if their prices again get into the realm of normalcy.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Tell the Fed to quit printing money Bob.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

dposner

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Rye, New York

by dposner » Thu May 21, 2009 11:32 am

A few corrections...Ordonez was in the article (his company is called Fine Wines of Spain). Under Australia, The Grateful Palate was an obvious omission.

As fro what Rahsaan and David touched on...most wineries work with just one importer. Ideally the winery would love to work with a national importer so that they do not have to deal with so many people in the United States.

JJ Prum has two licensed importers. That is rare and quite unusual these days. Antinori does as well.

Donnhoff has just one licensed importer. Grey marketing a wine is very common in some states, like NY, but you cannot count that as another importer.
Critics hate Criticism!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 21, 2009 12:47 pm

dposner wrote:A few corrections...Ordonez was in the article (his company is called Fine Wines of Spain). Under Australia, The Grateful Palate was an obvious omission.

As fro what Rahsaan and David touched on...most wineries work with just one importer. Ideally the winery would love to work with a national importer so that they do not have to deal with so many people in the United States.

JJ Prum has two licensed importers. That is rare and quite unusual these days. Antinori does as well.

Donnhoff has just one licensed importer. Grey marketing a wine is very common in some states, like NY, but you cannot count that as another importer.

That situation isn't as rare as you make it out to be (IMO). I think of producers like Dom. De Pegau, imported by J et R and Kravitz and Marcel Lapierre (KLWM and Barrique in Chicago). The typical scenario, I would guess, is a shotgun wedding: wine is first imported by a regional importer and, when wine attracts interest from an importer with national distribution, vigneron says OK, but my regional partner keeps his territory. Or so I imagine, anyway.

Mark Lipton