The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

? re 1970 Château Paret-beauséjour.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

? re 1970 Château Paret-beauséjour.

by OW Holmes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:33 am

A friend of mine was given this bottle. Any hope? It is a Cotes de Castillon Bordeaux Superior, I am told.
-OW
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: ? re 1970 Château Paret-beauséjour.

by Covert » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55 pm

OW Holmes wrote:A friend of mine was given this bottle. Any hope? It is a Cotes de Castillon Bordeaux Superior, I am told.

OW, you know that some people claim that Cotes de Castillon's terroir is very much like St-Emilion's. They say that the vineyards and wineries are just not quite as dialed in with modern methods, yet. (I know the vineyards go way back, like St-Emilion.) I would love to try such a bottle, for the heck of it. Is there a way that you might join your friend in the experiment and report your impressions to the Forum?

Covert
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm

Covert wrote:OW, you know that some people claim that Cotes de Castillon's terroir is very much like St-Emilion's.

Of course it goes without saying that there are many different terroirs in both adjacent regions. My last statement was a general one. The point and fun in experimenting is that you don't know if the particular terroir of the wine was more like a good St-Emilion terroir or a poorer one. Obviously somebody knows, but you and I don't. We're like experimenters in chemistry class. :)
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:17 pm

I'd love to give that a try. As a matter of fact, I'm going to suggest it to him today.
-OW