The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 3 from Chateauneuf du Pape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 3 from Chateauneuf du Pape

by geo t. » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Our friends Shar Douglas and Ken Hebenstreit joined us for dinner and Game 2 of the 1st round of the NHL playoffs between the Red Wings and Blue Jackets, bringing along a pair from Chateauneuf du Pape.

1999 M. Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape La Bernadine, 13.5% alc.: Just a hint of rust to the garnet color, with effusive, aromatic smoke, mahogany and beetroot on the nose; earthy flavors echo beautifully, and this is a little funky in a good way. Full bodied, well structured and yet to peak, this is big, rich and more than just approachable, it’s downright impressive. My wine of the night, and there’s no reason to think that it won’t keep going up for at least another 5 years, maybe 10.

Imported by Paterno Imports, Lake Bluff, IL

2000 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvée Reservée, 13.5% alc.: Smoky dark garnet color, with a classic Pegau personality of smoke, iron, cedar, black fruit and earthy beetroot. Still very well structured and in need of further time in the cellar, this actually drank better on release with its youthful exuberance. Certainly drinkable and even enjoyable, but its best days are well ahead of it; try again in 5 years and see where it’s at.

Imported by J et R Selections, Mt. Pleasant, MI

Since it was Chateauneuf du Pape theme, and we had 4 of the following in the cellar, I decided to take a chance and sacrifice one, despite all I’d read about it being in need of some serious cellar time.

2005 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape, 14% alc., $89: Clean dark color, and somewhat shy on the nose, giving only a little earth, iron smoke and beetroot; with big flavors of earth, iron, smoke, dark chocolate and black fruit, this is full bodied, very well structured with good acids and dusty tannins and very different in style from the Chapoutier and Pegau. Smooth in texture and very much more approachable than reports had led me to expect, this was very well received by all four of us, but don’t think that I’m recommending popping corks liberally on these. I’d put them away for a good 10-15 years for them to start showing everything they’ll have to offer.

Imported by Vineyard Brands, Inc., Birmingham, AL

-From Red Wings & Red Rhones Playoff Diary 2009 Round 1

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: TN: 3 from Chateauneuf du Pape

by Lou Kessler » Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm

You were rooting hard for the Blue Jackets I could hear you all the way to CA. :roll:
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 pm

1999 M. Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape La Bernadine, 13.5% alc.: Just a hint of rust to the garnet color, with effusive, aromatic smoke, mahogany and beetroot on the nose; earthy flavors echo beautifully, and this is a little funky in a good way. Full bodied, well structured and yet to peak, this is big, rich and more than just approachable, it’s downright impressive. My wine of the night, and there’s no reason to think that it won’t keep going up for at least another 5 years, maybe 10.

I drank a bottle of this wine in 2003, four years after vintage, and found it to have a rather harsh finish. I am glad to hear it became a much more enjoyable wine with age. I have been holding onto one remaining bottle from the 1998 vintage. When I last tasted it 1 1/2 years ago, it was very nice indeed.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed May 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:You were rooting hard for the Blue Jackets I could hear you all the way to CA. :roll:

I got yer Blue Jackets right here, Lou...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed May 13, 2009 8:42 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:

I drank a bottle of this wine in 2003, four years after vintage, and found it to have a rather harsh finish. I am glad to hear it became a much more enjoyable wine with age. I have been holding onto one remaining bottle from the 1998 vintage. When I last tasted it 1 1/2 years ago, it was very nice indeed.

-- Clark

I'm with you Clark. I don't like La Bernadine when it's young. 10 years old is a good place to start with them. It's a good age for all of these, but the others show much better in their youth.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed May 13, 2009 8:43 pm

Geo, darlin', tell me how you got that Pegau CdP 2000 to open up for you. I posted about my ill-fated night with that wine of the same vintage. Cold shoulder was the best I could get!

JuliaB

PS Why don' t you come to TVC for the Wines of Old Mission Penninsula Dinner?
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed May 13, 2009 8:50 pm

JuliaB wrote:Geo, darlin', tell me how you got that Pegau CdP 2000 to open up for you. I posted about my ill-fated night with that wine of the same vintage. Cold shoulder was the best I could get!

JuliaB

PS Why don' t you come to TVC for the Wines of Old Mission Penninsula Dinner?

Actually, it didn't open up as much as I would have preferred, Julia. It really does need to rest for some years before coming into its own. Some time in a decanter did help though.

I'll see what we can do about the dinner; saw your post and it sounds like a great time!

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu May 14, 2009 12:09 am

At a large tasting in Philadelphia..to benefit Children's Hospital of Philadelphia..that I enjoyed last year, the 2005 Beaucastel was the WOTN for me,,beautiful C9dp
Jon