The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some Umbrian wines so far...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo

Rank

Just got here

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:35 pm

Philadelphia

Some Umbrian wines so far...

by Paulo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:58 am

Hello all! I'm using my new MacBook laptop from our hotel in Spoleto, one of the three hotspots in town!

Weather is gorgeous and luminous mediterranean sun, with comfortable and cool evenings - the way it should be. Dining al fresco is simply ideal.

We have 34 people arriving on Sunday for our choral/cultural program and I have been busy doing out final touches in this unpredictable yet wonderful country.

If any of you come through this area, you must go to Ristorante La Cantina of chef Marco (student of Vissani). He combines traditional dishes with new Italian cuisine with the most artistic flair. As soon as I sat down I was poured a simple yet refreshing brut spumante. The head waiter is a wine geek, so he and I immediately began to talk about what was available:

2005 Orvieto Classico Barberani: delicious, fresh melon fruit; clean, refreshing, thirst quenching; clean, some roundness, but quite balanced. Maybe it was jetlag, or not, I was immediately transported to heaven. After that I had a glass of Tommasso Corricelli's 04 Montefalco rosso; quite elegant and a definite cabernet twist to this mostly sangiovese and sagrantino wine - amazing how huge the difference, even with the small amount of cabernet. Elegant, dark red/cherry fruit; slight cedar note on the nose.

I enjoyed the freshest truffled scrambled eggs and tomato/basil carpaccio, drizzled with delicious olive oil. YUM.

That evening for dinner I went over to a friend's house and her father brought a 2001 San Clemente Montepulciano D'Abruzzo Zaccagnini: fabulous deep and slightly ripe berry fruit - very well balanced; rustic. I did not experience the usual Montepulciano turn-off; slightly chalky; ample with great acid balance; went perfect with freshly made pesto pasta, prosciutto.

I'm in heaven.

More later!

http://www.umbrianserenades.com
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

Re: Some Umbrian wines so far...

by J Nolan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:40 am

Hi Paulo

Did you have Chronicon or Capsico rosso from Zaccagnini? they have a very good Trebbiano called Chronicon as well. How are you finding it in Umbria Pretty hot I'd say like here in Rome.

When your their if you find a bottle of Montefalco Rosso Tabarrini, most of all their Sagrantino Passito with the Cheese bread let me know what you think.

Have a Great trip hope the concert is a success, I'll try and pass but I can't promise anything. if you come down to Rome remember I'm around till the 10th leaving on the 11th.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Some Umbrian wines so far...

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:06 am

Thanks for the post card Paulo. Wish we were there. Enjoy!