The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Early-Maturing Red Blends (Australia and Sonoma)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Two Early-Maturing Red Blends (Australia and Sonoma)

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 13, 2009 10:54 am

Both of these wines had a range of grapes. They also were somewhat similar in taste profile.

2003 D'Arenberg "Galvo Garage" Quite bright acidity. Dominant red fruit with a definite green, weedy note that suggests to me early maturing/over the hill??? Still, the mouth feel is fine, the alcohol not dominant, and I like the sour cherry weedyness. 84 points.

2002 Don Sebastiani and Sons "Used Automobile Parts." Sonoma County. All five traditional varietals, with Merlot at 41% and Cab at 33%, if I recall correctly. The name is not a typo. These guys are too clever by half in their marketing :?

Under glass stopper (what an elegant closure. We all spent time playing with it like a pretty, pretty jewel. :P ) Similar notes to the above. Color already showed bricking, which surprised me because this bottle had been well-stored in off-site wine storage???? Nose and palate also suggest that we missed the prime drinking window by about a year, with a lean, somewhat acerbic character that showed a lot of sour cherry and some greenish notes. However, the nose also had to me a quite pleasant note of violets, which I enjoyed. Tasted quite mature, with an emphasis on sour cherry and herbs and a sneaky note of white chocolate poking out. Not a lot of big California fruit. Still...the tannins were smooth, there was enough acidity (not as much as above) and the alcohol seemed well integrated. Not a California fruit bomb! 83 points. I'm not sure they made this bottling again.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach