The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1989 Meyney Note Needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

1989 Meyney Note Needed

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 am

Got a call out of the blue last week - a friend telling me that someone he knew was moving and had a case of wine he wanted to sell.

Been there before and found a carton of Ripple stored atop the furnace for a decade so am pretty slow to work up interest. Asked them what it was. Got the message "Ch. Meyney".

There is good Meyney (75, 82, late 90s) and a lot of bad Meyney. I asked the vintage and got back '1989'.

Still comtrolled my enthusiasm. Price asked was equivalent to under $30 a bottle US. Finally got around to viewing it - pristine unopened wooden case stored in good cool conditions. Sold!

Has anyone pulled a cork on this recently? Just wondering if i should be scheduling it for the near future - I doubt there is any rush.

OTOH, all of this did get me to look at my other vintages and I see a half case of 1986 that should be ripe for plucking......
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: 1989 Meyney Note Needed

by Dale Williams » Wed May 13, 2009 9:52 am

Under $30 this is a steal. Had at my birthday dinner in October:
This has always vied with the '86 as my favorite Meyney, and I felt this bottle showed beautifully. The most complete of the three Bdx I served with the lamb. Mature but not fading. Mostly resolved tannins. The cassis fruit may have lost a tad of its youthful verve, but it can still stand up to the lamb. The notes of pencil shavings, tar, and leather are nicely integrated. What more could you ask in a (once) cheap claret?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 13, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks, Dale. Sounds like pulling an exploratory cork is on order. Maybe side by side with a 1986!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 am

Oh, score!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 am

I've had it a few times but I don't have notes. Its a very good wine but it fall short of outstanding. It generally sells for $40-$60 in the US so $30 is a very good price.

Spectator:93 Dark-colored, sporting loads of minty, berry and chocolate aromas and flavors. Full-bodied, with plenty of velvety tannins and a long, rich finish. Built for aging.

Parker:90 'The opaque, black/ruby color, a bouquet of minerals and damson plums, the alcoholic, massive flavors and the mouthcoating tannins all combine to create a sensory overload.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed May 13, 2009 10:14 am

Searched Rogov's database, and didn't find it. Not in the archives of the old site (Strat's Place) either. Rogov would certainly be happy to offer a note.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 am

Following are my most recent tasting notes for the Meyney releases of 1986 and 1989.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Meyney, St.-Estephe, 1989: Another happy surprise from the fine 1989 vintage, and just now coming into its own, the once near-potent tannins finally integrating nicely and the wine showing the balance and structure promised from its youth. Deep, almost inky garnet in color, full-bodied, with now gently caressing tannins highlighting blackberry and purple plum fruits, those supported by notes of dark chocolate. On the long finish tannins and a hint of mint rise. Muscles here but those with a gentle note. Drinking nicely now-2018, perhaps longer. Score 92. (Re-tasted 16 Mar 2006)

Chateau Meyney, St.-Estephe, 1986: Very nice in its youth showing full-bodied, with fine balance between tannins, wood and fruits. Now the once generous plum, blackberry fruits and dark chocolate have receded, and the wine shows more distinctly herbal with a few not necessarily wanted earthy overtones. Fully mature and not for further cellaring. Drink up. Score 87. (Re-tasted 8 Jun 2004)
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Wed May 13, 2009 11:52 am

I have enjoyed the 89 Meyney on a number of occasions, paid a lot less than $30 for it but that was on release..back in the early 90's when I was still buying boredough..When last tasted, 2007 per my cellar notes, "classic bordeaux, finesse and structure, drinking well, no rush, can hold to 2020, great QPR" still have 2 bottles left
Jon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 13, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks, Rogov. A careful examination of my rather peccably kept records show a full case of each in residence (somewhere). Corks aweigh!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 13, 2009 1:15 pm

BTW, while pondering the value of wines like these, another bourgeois comes to mind as a value leader - Chasse Spleen, and as it happens, also in that vintage!
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed May 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Bill, Hi.....

For most accurate reference, my two most recent tasting notes for the 1989 Chasse Spleen follow.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Chasse Spleen, Moulis, 1989: Intense, tannic and concentrated but with elegance, this full-bodied deep garnet colored wine shows an appealing array of currant, plum and mocha flavors. A long mouth-filling and coffee scented finish here. Drink now-2009. Score 91. (Re-tasted 8 Jul 2002)

Chateau Chasse Spleen, Moulis, 1989: Showing much as at an earlier tasting, the wine's intensity and elegance holding their own, the fruits still showing ripe and rich and now showing mocha, cigar box and roasted herbs on a long and mouth-filling finish. Cellaring better than anticipated. Drink now-2012. Score 90. (Re-tasted but not blind 19 Aug 2007)