The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Marietta Old Vine Lot 47 Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Marietta Old Vine Lot 47 Question

by Brian Gilp » Wed May 13, 2009 8:08 am

I use to drink a lot of the Marietta Old Vine and like so many other wines just stopped for no real reason. The other day I needed a cheap red to braise some short ribs and picked this up. When tasting it seemed to have some noticable residual that I don't recall from previous bottles. Has the style of this wine changed over the years or was my bottle just off. Other than the residual it tasted fine and worked well for the braise but it not a wine that I would want to drink.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Marietta Old Vine Lot 47 Question

by Tom Troiano » Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 am

Boy am I old. I drank Marietta OV lots with single digit numbers. I thought that most Marietta OV lot numbers less than 20 were pretty darn good QPR. Haven't had it in years.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am

I go back to lot #9..My experience with lots 40 and up has not been all that favorable, don't know whether the blend or the source has changed or my palate has changed but no longer on my "go to" list re QPR reds
Jon
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed May 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I only started in the early 40s. This has been my house red ever since I first tasted it. However, I picked up a bottle of the 47 and didn't care for it as much as I have the others.
Patti
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed May 13, 2009 12:30 pm

At a "under $15" blind tasting I thought Lot 43 was ok, no RS that I noticed:

#2 - juicy, ripe, some acids, a little herb. I'm guessing South of France, but it's US. The NV Marietta Lot 43. Not complex, but I could drink this without a problem. B/B-
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Old???

by TomHill » Wed May 13, 2009 4:13 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Boy am I old. I drank Marietta OV lots with single digit numbers. I thought that most Marietta OV lot numbers less than 20 were pretty darn good QPR. Haven't had it in years.

Well, Tom...I bought Marietta OV back before they even started putting Lot #'s on them!!
I haven't had one in 3-4 yrs, so don't know if the recent ones have RS or not.
Tom
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 pm

As another person who had been buying this stuff since perhaps the start of double digits, the recent versions I have tasted have lacked interest. I can't tell if it was RS, lack of acidity and grip or just plain dilution. Cline used to make a similar blend (Cotes d'Oakley, or something like that) that we used to enjoy, but that appears to have vanished. Getting my cheap red thrills from Portugal these days.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 am

I used to sell tons of the stuff at $9.99. Recently, our shelf price went to $15.99, and sales have slowed considerably. In a way, I'm actually feeling pretty good about this: It means people actually are paying attention to QPR.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu May 14, 2009 9:07 am

Dave Erickson wrote:I used to sell tons of the stuff at $9.99. Recently, our shelf price went to $15.99, and sales have slowed considerably. In a way, I'm actually feeling pretty good about this: It means people actually are paying attention to QPR.

The recession aside, I do think there's something about the $10 barrior. Even though I bought Marietta OV lot #<20 for under $10 10-20 years ago I still think Marietta OV is a $10 wine. So, when I see it at $15 I don't buy it. Of course I'm ignoring 10-20 years of inflation.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 14, 2009 4:20 pm

As luck would have it, I had the Lot 48 several days ago at the in-laws' house. Pretty straight-ahead Zin blend to my taste, no RS that I could detect. I too used to buy it fairly regularly Way Back When, but it also dropped off my radar.

Mark Lipton