The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Walla Walla Weekend Day #4

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Walla Walla Weekend Day #4

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Our last day of wine tasting in Walla Walla.

SYZYGY

Although the name Syzygy has something to do with astronomy, the space-cadet blue labels and orange capsules look like they were designed by a fortune teller. I liked the wines, though.

2006 Columbia Valley Red Wine, $24
850 cases made. 56% syrah and the rest merlot, CS and malbec. Balanced, interesting, good value. 18 months in mostly French Oak. B.

2006 Walla Walla Syrah, $33
Bright and spicy. B

2006 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, $36
Plum and black cherry fruit, graphite, dust. I really liked this. A-

2005 Soros, $45
50% tempranillo with malbec and cabernet sauvignon. You can actually taste the tempranillo here--bright acidity, spice, and gyroleke. I don't know what gyroleke is or why I was writing so badly first thing in the morning, but that's what my notes say so there you are. :)

ENSEMBLE CELLARS

Sean Thackrey goes to Washington. Kind of. Proprietor/winemaker Craig Nelson had his major wine epiphany over a bottle of Chateau Margaux. Smitten--I'm kind of imagining him like Richard Dreyfus' character in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, feverishly and single-mindedly building this thing he sees in his head out of mashed potatoes, and then a giant version in the front yard--Craig went to work at creating his own Margaux and discovered it wasn't possible to capture it in just one vintage. Or even two. So he blends three. Using approximately 70% cabernet with equal portions of merlot and cab franc and a small dollop of petit verdot, he makes 440 cases per year--keeps 20, sells the rest.

Ensemble Cellars Release No. 3, vintages 2004, 2005 and 2006
Vitamin minerality on the nose with soft, elegant and complex berry fruit, sweet violets and yes, there it is: perfume! By jove he did it. It's in no way equivalent to Margaux, but it is VERY Margauxlike. I bought three bottles (I paid $34, but I believe the street price was $48).

Ensemble Cellars Release No. 4, vintages 2005, 2006 and 2007
This won't be released officially until October, but it's not quite a barrel sample either--he moved some into glass five months ago in preparation for this weekend. 14.4% alcohol which absolutely does not show (at least, to a palate temporarily retrained by all-Washington wine, all the time), and a bit prettier/spicier than Release No. 3 at this stage with a distinct juniper berry note. I put myself on the list for the fall allocation.

aMAURICE

That's not a typo. The family last name is Maurice (as is the daughter-winemaker), but there's already a French winery called Maurice so they added the small 'a', which should be pronounced 'aw'.

2006 Chardonnay Columbia Valley, $26
Just when I was wondering at the paucity of chardonnays around here, this. And it's lovely: pears and orange blossoms, seemingly unwooded, clean and precise. I bought a bottle.

They apologized for not having a viognier to show, but Thomas Keller snapped up their entire production for the French Laundry and Per Se. I guess that's how to get your little winery on the map!

2006 Syrah Columbia Valley
Finally someone uses some grenache: there's 15% in here, and it lifts the wine. Complex and earthy, with a little natural cedar--and it's not the oak talking, this wine is aged in neutral and 1 year old French barrels. B++

2006 Malbec Columbia Valley
30% new oak. Peppery with purple fruit, bubble gum, volatile acids, and a short, clipped finish. Yuk. D.

2006 Red Table Wine, "The Tsutakawa"
Good to very good, this is a 40/28/24/4/4 blend of cabernet, merlot, cab franc, malbec and petit verdot. B-.

K VINTNERS

If Sammy Hagar wanted to make wine, he'd want to be Charles Smith. And like Charles Smith he would name his wines Holy Cow, Guido, The Boy, and Kung Fu Girl. I was temporarily on cruise here and after tasting the very good and very dry 08 Viognier and the aforementioned 2006 Guido (80% sangiovese, which I've never had so rough), about which I wrote one word, "rustic", I left the noisy and crowded Classic Rock wine barn to go play with two cats who were lolling about near the house. Which surprisingly led to my meeting Charles himself, or does he go by Chuck, who told me to come back in the fall as that's when he releases all his best stuff. Okay....

WALLA WALLA VINTNERS

I've seen these wines in stores but have never purchased. They're quite good--well-oaked but consistent in style and execution and not badly priced, comparatively speaking, though I wasn't tempted to take any of them home.

2007 Sangiovese, $24. Very nice, tangy and joyful. B.

2007 Walla Walla Merlot, $28, C+. Pleasant, fresh, a bit simple.

2007 Cab Franc, $28, B. Unmistakably CF: black cherry, plums and sweet herbs. Very good.

2006 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, $30, B. Nice stuff, good varietal character and balance for everyday cabernet.

2006 Columbia Valley Sagemoor Cabernet Sauvignon, $40. B++/A-. Good concentration with black plums and dark chocolate, good structure. Excellent.

2006 Vineyard Select Cabernet Sauvignon, $48, B++. Not sure what the extra money is for, I preferred the Sagemoor.

WOODWARD CANYON

For some reason I took very few notes here. About when we got here the carbs from lunch caught up with me and I was dragging a little. But that doesn't change the fact that I went in a fan, and came out an even bigger fan. Even someone who didn't know Woodward Canyon from Adam would have come out of there realizing that they'd just been to the well of what would be one of this states First Growths were we to have such a system.

Suffice to say then that they were pouring almost everything and I liked everything they poured. Of particular note were the ungodly 2006 and 2002 Old Vines. Both got A+'s--Washington wine really can't get any better than this. I came home with a magnum of the 02 plus a couple of the chardonnays. Then we drove back into town and hit a couple of the tasting rooms downtown. I was particularly interested in a Cayuse storefront I saw, but they're already totally sold out so were closed. But we did go to:

DA MA VINEYARDS

Oh why, oh why do they do it? Upon entering, as if one couldn't already tell from the whorehouse pink and silver color scheme and jewelry for sale, one is told that you are going to be tasting "Wines from the woman's point of view". I braced myself. The winery principals are the guy who was pouring, his wife (the 'Da') and the widow ('Ma') of Spring Valley's founder who was killed in a vehicle accident about four years ago. Though I actually took detailed notes on the six or so wines on offer, there's no point wasting the time to type them up--everything was weird and below average. The chard was overripe and flabby while one of the two cabernets tasted of fruit punch and ham while the other had the distinct nose of baby formula. Avoid! Avoid!

OTIS KENYON

Never heard of this winery until I walked in the door. My impressions were mixed. The oak was minimal, which was good, but the alcohols were all high.

2006 Merlot
14.9% and it's still too sweet. Need I say more?

2006 Cabernet Sauvignon
14.6%, but very savory with green olives and leather. If only the alcohol were lower....

A syrah and a malbec were also being poured but I noted nothing other than the alcohol levels (14.7% and 14.3%) so perhaps that speaks for itself.

SAPOLIL CELLARS

Another winery I've never heard of. Worth the stop for the proprietress alone--what a force of nature Abigail is. Fantastic personality. But the wines were such a mixed bag that the one really great one seemed more the result of luck than skill.

2008 Chardonnay (unoaked! Yay!)
Splendid fruit, bright and balanced. A-.

2005 Syrah Patina Vineyard
Saturated, sweet black and blue flavors, plenty of tannins keep it from turning into syrup but it's still too thick for my tastes. C.

2006 Syrah
Softer and rounder. Kind of blah, actually. C.

2007 Papa Loves Mambo
A syrah, sangiovese and cabernet blend. Enamel stripper!! D.

SLEIGHT OF HAND

Trey Busch, formerly winemaker at Basel Cellars, is out on his own now with some good wines. Great label art!

2007 100% Yakima chardonnay
Judging by what I saw on the way into town, Yakima has to be a whole bunch hotter and the tropicality of this chardonnay shows it. C+

2007 Dry Gewurztraminer
Spice and golden raisins, low acid. C+

2008 100% Cab Franc Rose, Frenchtown (Walla Walla) Vineyard
Very pale pink color, great acidity, balance and flavor. Outstanding and a best of breed. A+; I bought three bottles.

He also poured several red wines, but for some reason I didn't take any notes on them.

EL MIRADOR (right next door to Sleight of Hand)

Two wines were poured here, a chardonnay and something red I didn't even write down. I mention them only by way of warning. That is, the wines were just incredibly simple, like homemade wines from concentrate. And though cheap to begin with, both were "on sale" for like half off which would make them about six bucks and even then too expensive. I don't know how they pay their rent.

And that concludes the tour.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

Re: WTN: Walla Walla Weekend Day #4

by rumpole » Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Jenise,

Thanks for the great notes on your Walla Walla trip. Its a fun, mad time for Spring Release in Walla Walla. I don't go event weekends anymore because of the crowds and my desire to actually talk to the winemakers. A great time for me to visit is during harvest. Had a remarkable 50th birthday staying in the "Chicken Coop" at Abeja, sipping barrel sample of John Abbot's reserve cab. Sorry you missed Buty and Amavi and Spring Valley (at the farm).
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Thanks for jogging my memory. I drank a lot of 89 Woodward Canyon cab and saved one bottle in my cellar to drink at the age of 20. Something or someone will come along and we'll open the bottle and I'll report how it survived.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Thanks for jogging my memory. I drank a lot of 89 Woodward Canyon cab and saved one bottle in my cellar to drink at the age of 20. Something or someone will come along and we'll open the bottle and I'll report how it survived.

Lou, is your bottle by any chance a Dedication Series? The 89 Dedication (now called the Old Vines), about a year ago, is the best Washington wine I've had. Very mature, but ethereal.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Jenise wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:Thanks for jogging my memory. I drank a lot of 89 Woodward Canyon cab and saved one bottle in my cellar to drink at the age of 20. Something or someone will come along and we'll open the bottle and I'll report how it survived.

Lou, is your bottle by any chance a Dedication Series? The 89 Dedication (now called the Old Vines), about a year ago, is the best Washington wine I've had. Very mature, but ethereal.

No, just says Columbia valley. You mean there was a better bottling? That was so good!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed May 13, 2009 1:06 am

Jenise, I loved your notes. Thanks for taking the time to organize them.

ENSEMBLE CELLARS

Sean Thackrey goes to Washington. Kind of. Proprietor/winemaker Craig Nelson had his major wine epiphany over a bottle of Chateau Margaux. Smitten-- ... --Craig went to work at creating his own Margaux and discovered it wasn't possible to capture it in just one vintage. Or even two. Using approximately 70% cabernet with equal portions of merlot and cab franc and a small dollop of petit verdot, he makes 440 cases per year--keeps 20, sells the rest.

This blend from Ensemble Cellars is very classy stuff. I have a vertical of Releases One-Two-Three in my wine storage, and I am already on their allocation list for Release Four. BTW ... Craig spells his last name Nelsen.

WOODWARD CANYON

For some reason I took very few notes here. About when we got here the carbs from lunch caught up with me and I was dragging a little. But that doesn't change the fact that I went in a fan, and came out an even bigger fan. Even someone who didn't know Woodward Canyon from Adam would have come out of there realizing that they'd just been to the well of what would be one of this states First Growths were we to have such a system.

Suffice to say then that they were pouring almost everything and I liked everything they poured. Of particular note were the ungodly 2006 and 2002 Old Vines. Both got A+'s--Washington wine really can't get any better than this. I came home with a magnum of the 02 plus a couple of the chardonnays.

Woodward Canyon was one of our first stops during our visit several years ago, and it was great then. The wines spoke very loudly of quality; the facility was humble in comparison. Their Old Vines Cabernet was awesome, and I loved their Artist Series red blend. I'll be stopping there again on our next visit.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2009 6:44 am

Lou Kessler wrote:No, just says Columbia valley. You mean there was a better bottling? That was so good!

Indeed there was. If I ever make it down to Napa, I'll bring one along.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2009 6:54 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:This blend from Ensemble Cellars is very classy stuff. I have a vertical of Releases One-Two-Three in my wine storage, and I am already on their allocation list for Release Four. BTW ... Craig spells his last name Nelsen.

Oops, thanks. But yes, supremely classy--wish I'd thought to use that word myself.

Woodward Canyon was one of our first stops during our visit several years ago, and it was great then. The wines spoke very loudly of quality; the facility was humble in comparison.

Still is. They've added a small separate tasting room about 50 feet from the fermentation tank barn which would have been used in the past, and where on this occasion they tasted only the two Old Vines, but compared to the kind of thing they build in Napa Valley (or well-moneyed operations like Long Shadows) it's still humble.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am

WALLA WALLA VINTNERS

Interesting that you liked them so much. Back in the '90s, I bought some of their wines -- especially the Cab Franc -- and subsequently decided they used way too much new oak -- with a little age, they tasted like a liquified lumber mill. (Of course, maybe the fault was mine in cellaring them; they're probably best consumed young.) But it's been years since I tried any and perhaps they've changed their winemaking style. I should give them another chance.

SAPOLIL CELLARS

Also interesting. I loved their 2006 Patina Vineyard Syrah. It's also possible my palate was so fatigued at that point that my judgment was off. Anyway, I bought some and we'll see how they taste at home with dinner sometime. They do have a great place downtown and apparently have music there at night.

gyroleke

That elusive quality I always look for in a wine!
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed May 13, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Jenise,

Sounds like you had lots of fun over there! Thanks for the notes.

Jenise wrote:ENSEMBLE CELLARS

Sean Thackrey goes to Washington. Kind of...

I've been meaning to visit Ensemble Cellars for some time, and your notes reinforce the feeling. I suspect Craig Nelson might well rise to be one of the top winemakers in the state.

Jenise wrote:aMAURICE

2006 Syrah Columbia Valley
Finally someone uses some grenache ...

My thought exactly, earlier this week, when I tasted the Betz Grenache, to be released I think in November. It was the best of a long list of Woodinville wines I tasted.

Jenise wrote:SAPOLIL CELLARS

2008 Chardonnay (unoaked! Yay!)
Splendid fruit, bright and balanced. A-.

Funny, I didn't think the fruit was all that clean really. Recently I've been suggesting Abbey Page Chard instead, twice the wine IMO at half the price.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Dave, hi!

You'll love Ensemble. I can easily see this wine becoming a new Washington icon.

Re the Sapolil chardonnay, when I said 'bright' I was referring mostly to the acidity in balance with the fruit, but the fruit's too big to earn a word like 'clean' from me. Abbey Page...new winery to me. More info?
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu May 14, 2009 11:53 am

I don't have much info about Abbey Page - it doesn't seem like there is much out there, but the Chardonnay comes from Willamette Valley, I assume from a variety of sources. It's on the juicy side of balanced; there's certainly no mistaking it for a Macon, but I find it quite pleasing as a basic quaffer. No oak flavor at all, although I'd believe it might have seen some neutral barrel if someone told me that. At $8, it's a great party wine. I'm stacking it for as long as I can get it!

I should explain why I thought of this wine after the mention of the Sapolil Chard. It's simple - I tasted them the same day, and almost back-to-back, and the Abbey Page blew away the Sapolil, at less than half the price. I passed on the Sapolil.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 15, 2009 9:46 am

Sounds like you had a barrel (or two) of fun.

I haven't been down for several years, but my impressions were similar - hugely mixed bag with very serious wineries punctuated by bizarre, or just plain bad. Although there is something about a wine called 'Papa Loves Mambo' that makes me want to know the story behind it.

At least it is different from the similar mix we have in BC. I think we can vie with the worst of Washington state. How about our old fave Golden Beaver (remember when Bruce and I brought a 'taste of the beav' to lunch?):

Goldie's Passion - Our first Blend & first Oaked Wine! Blend of merlot, Pinot Noir & Marechal Foch. Rich medium-bodied wine, wonderful bouquet of berries & vanilla, great complexity & mouth-feel. Fruit Forward style accented by hungarian oak.

Can Mambo trump that?

I think we need to hear from some Californian members. While land prices in Napa long ago rooted out the most frivolous of enterprises, I'll bet a few silly one must remain.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri May 15, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm just wondering what kind of Weekends y'all have in the Pacific NW that you can be on Day #4. How, exactly, does that work...???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 am

James Dietz wrote:I'm just wondering what kind of Weekends y'all have in the Pacific NW that you can be on Day #4. How, exactly, does that work...???

Well, you'd just have to come up and see how that works. Personally I usually only get up to 2 1/2 or 3 days, but of course Jenise is special.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat May 16, 2009 11:09 am

Thank you Jenise for your notes. They are fun and informative to read. I have visited Syzygy but not most of the others you mention in this latest post.