The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2007 muscadet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

2007 muscadet

by Bob Henrick » Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 am

Chambers street is issuing a "last call" on the Pepiere muscadet, and since I haven't even tried an 07 of any muscadet, I thought I would ask for some input. Does anyone here have an opinion on the 2007's? I have heard some things through the grapevine that 07 was a difficult vintage, b ut ca''t say that myself. I would think that if anyone in the region made good wine in 07 it probably was Marc Ollivier. BTW the regular bottling is priced at $12.49 per, and the Briords is quoted at $15.99 per. I am considering 6 of each, which including shipping would run about $200 for the case. .Tthanks for any answers.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: 2007 muscadet

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 am

2007 Clos des Briords is very good. Lyle Fass thinks it's life changing. I won't go that far, but I enjoyed it very much, as did the 24 people I served it to in February.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 12, 2009 12:08 pm

A bit depends on your tastes, I found the regular '07 a bit leaner/sharper than the '05 or '06, but liked just as much.
I have the '07 Briords but haven't opened yet.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

by David Z » Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 pm

FYI, Garnet has the Briords and the regular bottling for either the same price or ~$1 cheaper than Chambers. Sure, you don't get Chambers' provenance, but there were plenty of bottles left at Garnet yesterday, and I', 90% sure they ship out of state. FWIW, they have some bottles of one of the non-regular 06's (not the Briords, the other one) left too.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 pm

David Z wrote:Sure, you don't get Chambers' provenance.

Does that mean Garnet buys from grey market sources? Does such a thing exist for Muscadet?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue May 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Pretty sure Garnet's are LDM. I think he just means there has been some concern re temps at Garnet (in store itself, downstairs storage seems cool).
CSW is probably cheaper with mixed case discount, and I never have trouble finding 12 bottles there.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I think he just means there has been some concern re temps at Garnet (in store itself, downstairs storage seems cool).

Ah yes, I can see that.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Tue May 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Dale's interpreted me correctly. I've caught a couple of seepers at Garnet and you'd never see that in a million years at Chambers.
(This isn't meant to cast aspersions on Garnet. I buy from there all the time, including this week. And I saw the Pepiere bottles when I went, so I feel comfortable recommending them because they were immaculate. But particularly with stuff that's been hanging around on the floor for awhile, you never know.)

EDIT: The point of my original post was that there's no reason to stock up b/c Chambers is running low, b/c Garnet still has it and is basically the same price.

EDIT 2: Slight tangent: Garnet carries Belle Pente now! They had the riesling, the Yamhill-Carlton, and the Belle Pente Estate. Didn't see the Murto, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had it in the back. Exciting!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 12, 2009 7:37 pm

JBL and I tasted both of the muscadets you're thinking of buying and we liked both but if you can swing the xtra $s for the briords do it. We did for ourselves. Our serious description= GOOD JUICE! :D
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 pm

This Loire-head here has not seen any Pepiere since the `04 vintage. Good selection from the Chereau-Carre house though!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 13, 2009 8:05 am

David Z wrote:FYI, Garnet has the Briords and the regular bottling for either the same price or ~$1 cheaper than Chambers. Sure, you don't get Chambers' provenance, but there were plenty of bottles left at Garnet yesterday, and I', 90% sure they ship out of state. FWIW, they have some bottles of one of the non-regular 06's (not the Briords, the other one) left too.

Thanks for the input David, and I will check them as to shipping. I live in Kentucky, and their web page says they won't ship to me, but that could be a public statement only. I am curious though, having never shopped in either store does Garnet keep their sales area much warmer than Chambers? How much warmer? If it is much warmer it might be wise to pay the extra $1. Again thanks for the input.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 am

Bob, as I'm not the only NYCer on the board, others can add their $0.02, but for something like the Pepiere I don't think it matters too much. The bottles I saw on display were immaculate. I've never ordered from them in large quantities (just a mixed case now and then delivered by truck), but it wouldn't surprise me if you could ask for bottles that weren't out on the floor.

Again, if I were ordering and I had to pick b/w the two, I'd go with Chambers, but if there were any reason why I couldn't get to Chambers (didn't want to pay for it that month, couldn't find time to make it down to Tribeca) I'd just go with Garnet. Chambers is the fancier store but Garnet gets the job done too. At least that's my sense.

EDIT: I should add that as a native Upper East Sideian, the rumor I'd always heard is that Garnet's prices are reasonable and selection so great b/c they're hooked up with the mob. Dunno if that's true, but I've heard it on more than one occaision.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 pm

David Z wrote:Bob, as I'm not the only NYCer on the board, others can add their $0.02, but for something like the Pepiere I don't think it matters too much. The bottles I saw on display were immaculate. I've never ordered from them in large quantities (just a mixed case now and then delivered by truck), but it wouldn't surprise me if you could ask for bottles that weren't out on the floor.

Again, if I were ordering and I had to pick b/w the two, I'd go with Chambers, but if there were any reason why I couldn't get to Chambers (didn't want to pay for it that month, couldn't find time to make it down to Tribeca) I'd just go with Garnet. Chambers is the fancier store but Garnet gets the job done too. At least that's my sense.

EDIT: I should add that as a native Upper East Sideian, the rumor I'd always heard is that Garnet's prices are reasonable and selection so great b/c they're hooked up with the mob. Dunno if that's true, but I've heard it on more than one occaision.

I wouldn't worry too much about current release stuff. It can be warm on floor, but a month at 72 isn't likely to kill anything.
But if I run into an interesting '98 Bdx or '99 Burg, I'll ask if I can get a bottle from downstairs (and pass if I can't).
I actually noticed the Belle Pente a few weeks ago. They were having 10% off reds sale, I planned on stopping by when I had a pickup at synagogue on 75th. BP was a candidate, along with Lafouge Auxey 1er, etc. But I was running late, no spaces right in front, I skipped.

I too have heard the mob rumors re Garnet (and Gotham, same family, just different technical ownershp due to NY 1 license law), but no real evidence.

Garnet is a good store, usually good prices, though web inventory is often incorrect in my experience, and as noted maybe not the flagship for careful storage upstairs.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Wed May 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Yes, I've heard that about Gotham too, and that they're related. Whats funny is that Gotham is really not that good a store at all- all Touton imports and strange bottles (enormous selection of Greek wines, for example).

BTW, Gotham is 10% off all wine this month, if you ask for it. Not that there's anything much worth it in there, but thereyago.

And both halves of the Lafouge 2006 rouge I've bought from Garnet have been excellent. Well worth the $14 (or $21 for a 750). Plenty of other interesting bits in there right now: Dubreuil-Fontaine 2005 Pernand 1er "Ile de la Vergelesses" for $40, 2007 Roulot Aligote for $20, 2006 David Clark Passetoutgrain for $21 (which I ended up buying).... If I hadn't just dropped a bundle at this month's Acker online auction I'd be in there today picking up a mixed case.