The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

01 Mt Eden, 01 Siduri & 07 St Innocent

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

01 Mt Eden, 01 Siduri & 07 St Innocent

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

2001 Mount Eden Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate Bottled - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/10/2009)
Had next to 01 Siduri Sapphire Hill. Aromatically showing some age. A bit gamy. Pretty red and blue fruits. High acid. Somewhat simple. Just goes right by. Opened up with some time. Pomegranates, cranberries and violets. Long tart finish. I enjoyed this because I like acid but I could see this being a little much for many. I think this wine still needs time but don't think it will ever be an intellectual experience. (90 pts.)

2001 Siduri Pinot Noir Sapphire Hill Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/10/2009)
I had this over 2 nights next to the 01 Mt Eden. This is a wine that I picked up multiple bottles of as I began to explore Siduri. It had been 5 years since I tried it. At that time I enjoyed everything but the bitter astringent finish. I was curious as to what would happen with this wine. So here are my new thoughts. At first the nose seemed a bit oxidized and seemed to show VA. As the evening went on the nose mellowed. Very big sweet fruit at the fruit but the same astringent finish. That kills it from going to the next level. The front palate is very nice. Where the Mt Eden had very high acid it almost made this seem soft but it was far from flabby. This worked equally well by itself as with food. Can't figure out the finish. (88 pts.)

2007 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Villages Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/7/2009)
Nice fruit and vegetation elements on the nose. The palate is clamped down tightly. Lots of tart tannin. This wine always needs a little time but this the 07 may need an extra year. Drinking well right now but not for the acid adverse. Wait 3 years. (89-90) (89 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 01 Mt Eden, 01 Siduri & 07 St Innocent

by Jenise » Mon May 11, 2009 1:25 pm

I remember liking that Sapphire Hill quite a bit but I drank mine young. In fact, in general, my experience with Siduri pinots is that some walk right off a cliff at a fairly early age so one's best bet is to drink them all on the young side. Have to wonder if Adam isn't playing with too many variables.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: 01 Mt Eden, 01 Siduri & 07 St Innocent

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Jenise wrote:I remember liking that Sapphire Hill quite a bit but I drank mine young. In fact, in general, my experience with Siduri pinots is that some walk right off a cliff at a fairly early age so one's best bet is to drink them all on the young side. Have to wonder if Adam isn't playing with too many variables.

I actually think Adam has been growing as a wine-maker. Trying new things and creating a different style on certain wines. I don't buy a ton ... no room ... but pick some up here and there and get to taste a lot of it in these parts. Generally I think by his own philosophy, his wines should be drank on the earlier side but some of the recent wines I have tasted were quite structured.

Jason