The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN; Weekend Dinner-Lambursco, Corison, Martini

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN; Weekend Dinner-Lambursco, Corison, Martini

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 am

At a quite nice Italian restaurant in Davis, of all places. :shock:

2007 Camillo Donatti Lambrusco. Louis/Dressner Imports. I still love this wine. A couple of others did as well. But...the weird combination of bright grapey flavors, acidity, and major "natural wine" funk was too much for others. :P My score was 89...the table consensus may have been 79. :twisted:

2001 Corison "Kronos Vineyard" Cabernet Sauvignon. Wine of the Night, if not the Month, for me and the consensus favorite. Beautiful cherry fruit, with anise notes. Fantastic acidity. Lovely, lively mouth feel with great presence, balanced alcohol. Went very well with the food-and I think these wines show much better at dinner than as a sipping wine alone by themselves (like at the winery tasting Friday afternoon). Just delicious and elegant and balanaced and wow. I am now a total convert to the Cathy Corison Cult! :mrgreen: 95+

2001 Corbaie Toscano-70% Sangiovese, 30% Cabernet. The barrrique showed more in this bottle, but the bracing tangyness of the Sangio saved the day. A nice wine. 88 points.

2002 Martini Monte Rosso Cabernet Sauvignon This did not show as well in comparison to the Corison. Nice fruit, but the oak really stuck out on the nose and the palate. Fine, but poor QPR. I liked better at the winery last year. 87 points.

2001 Tower Estates Hunter Valley Shiraz. Blazing cherry fruit and acidity. The bottle variation is amazing in this wine-all about the cherry fruit here, unlike the tobacco/leather in other, previous bottles. But yet, it was utterly delicious as well....92 points.

2006 Gauthier Jour de Soif Chinon. Meh. Nothing "wrong" here, and the earthy round mouth feel is not unpleasant. I need more herbs and a little more fruit, maybe? What killed it for me was the lack of bracing acidity. 82.

1995 Freemark Abbey "Sycamore Vineyard" Cabernet Sauvignon. Boy..this is still amazingly primary in character. All about the berry and anise fruit, with lovely soft tannins. A fantastic core of acidity ran through through this wine, providing the cut for the steak that I had expected from the Jour de Soif. :? Lovely wine with a decade to go. This powerful berry-anise character seems to be a halmark of Sycamore Vineyard cabernets. 93 points.

It's fascinating to try older Napa cabs to see how different they evolve. I had a chance to taste 1997 and 1998 Clos Du Val Reserve Cab yesterday as well...and these wines showed much more earthy, herbal, aged character than the Sycamore.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach