The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cali Syrahs and a Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Cali Syrahs and a Bordeaux

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 11, 2009 10:14 am

2005 Cabot Vineyards Klamath Cuvee - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (4/24/2009)
This wine is outstanding. $15 bucks ... you have to be kidding. Aromatically we got sweet blue and red fruits along with rocks and flowers. We drank about 1/3 of the bottle and then corked it. This wine really needed that day. Do not pop and pour this unless you enjoy dominating structure. When we drank this, I did not know what the blend was (its not on the bottle) but the wine reminded me of CdP ... not often do get that impression from Cali wine. I loved the fruit, minerality and rusticity. Along with the good amount of fruit and acid, there were big tannins. The tannins gave the wine the desired texture. This shows what Cali can do. Tasty sweet fruit without being a bomb. I did find this very ripe but it did not lose its texture or structure. I will drink more before the year is out but wisdom says wait 4-6 years. Syarh, Cab Sauv, Zin & Merlot. (93 pts.)

2000 Château Haut-Bages Averous - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/24/2009)
I tried this when it was very young in 2003 but I was unmoved. But most 2000s were way too wound up for me. I hoped this had evolved and it most certainly did. It still needs a little decant but after about 60 minutes it is ready to roll. Leather and fruit on the nose. All night I enjoyed the earthy and fruity aromatics. This wine is showing great balance. I like how it is currently drinking because there is still lots of fresh fruit but the tannins are resolving and in sync. Nice long finish. (92 pts.)

2005 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (4/6/2009)
I had not intention of drinking my bottles but then I came across another one at retail, so I grabbed it to get a peek. I had this next to the Alesia over a 3 day period. Nice and subtle aromatics. There is a richness on the nose. A bit of chocolate and vanilla. After two days the aromatics really came alive. Showed a cab franc quality. Quite flowery for a syrah. The first day the palate was pretty unyielding wit an acidic finish. Not loving at first but I know I need to wait. After a few days the acids integrated and the wine became a beuty. Rich and earthy. Not peppery. Lots of plums and minerality. A real transformation. The balance really came together. Wait at least 5 years. (93 pts.)

2005 Rhys Alesia Syrah Fairview Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (4/6/2009)
As stinky as the last time. As normal with Fairview, it is like there is a pile of grapefruits and someone is doing a burnout on them. This would not be for everyone. After 3 days the smell is the same. I like it but it can wear on you. Big grapefruit flavors as well. This wine is so intense. It really didn't budge after 3 days. On the 3 day the finish did begin to even out but it is still aggressive. I won't be touching my other bottles for many years. (89 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cali Syrahs and a Bordeaux

by Jenise » Mon May 11, 2009 11:20 am

$15? Did you find it on sale or is that the winery's asking price? Btw, I'm also trying to place Humboldt County. Is that up near the Oregon border?

Interesting note on the Rhys; not a wine I've ever had, but grapefruit in syrah is a pretty unusual characteristic. Yet my memory's nudging me that I experienced that recently too without revealing exactly where.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon May 11, 2009 11:46 am

Yes, Humboldt County is right on the Oregon border. Crescent City is in Humboldt County.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Jenise wrote:$15? Did you find it on sale or is that the winery's asking price? Btw, I'm also trying to place Humboldt County. Is that up near the Oregon border?
Yeah its way up there. I think they may be better known for a different crop 8)

I got this direct. http://www.cabotvineyards.com

Some great prices and interesting stuff. I wanted to start going through them.

Jenise wrote:Interesting note on the Rhys; not a wine I've ever had, but grapefruit in syrah is a pretty unusual characteristic. Yet my memory's nudging me that I experienced that recently too without revealing exactly where.

I get on a lot of SLH stuff. Interestingly after making a grapefruit comment about a different Fairview wine, I found out that the vines were planted on an area that used to be grapefruit trees.

Jason