The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Forum for Winemaking/Viticulture?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Forum for Winemaking/Viticulture?

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:55 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Might it be possible to have messages about winemaking and viticulture appear in both the regular forum and in a separate Winemaker/Viticulture section as Howie has suggested? This would serve both worlds. Messages would be brought to the attention of the general audience and, in the separate section, be kept alive for the afficianados. Perhaps a special notation could be attached to messages in the regular forum indicating that they also appear in the separate section. Whether the technology would support such a thing I have no idea.

Dan, as far as I know, the forum software wouldn't support that kind of thing exactly. But it would support a sort of workaround: It would be possible to start a thread in this forum, then <i>move</i> it to another forum in such a way that there would still be a clickable link in this forum showing the thread title and its new location. Would something like that work, do you think? Create a wine-making forum and use it to carry on extended conversations after they've had their start here?
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Re: Forum for Winemaking/Viticulture?

by Dan Smothergill » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:26 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:
Might it be possible to have messages about winemaking and viticulture appear in both the regular forum and in a separate Winemaker/Viticulture section as Howie has suggested? This would serve both worlds. Messages would be brought to the attention of the general audience and, in the separate section, be kept alive for the afficianados. Perhaps a special notation could be attached to messages in the regular forum indicating that they also appear in the separate section. Whether the technology would support such a thing I have no idea.

Robin wrote:
Dan, as far as I know, the forum software wouldn't support that kind of thing exactly. But it would support a sort of workaround: It would be possible to start a thread in this forum, then move it to another forum in such a way that there would still be a clickable link in this forum showing the thread title and its new location. Would something like that work, do you think? Create a wine-making forum and use it to carry on extended conversations after they've had their start here?

Howie and others, what do you think? This would provide a separate forum for winemaking and viticulture while keeping thread titles alive on the regular forum. Clicking the titles would access the full thread in the separate section. It sounds pretty good. The general audience would see the titles of threads and could easily pursue them. That would go a long way toward mitigating the problem of isolating winemaking/viticulture from the rest of the forum.
Previous