The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Afternoon at Chez Spohn

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Afternoon at Chez Spohn

by Jenise » Sun May 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Bob and I were invited over for a relaxed and casual bocce and wine event at the Spohn residence yesterday afternoon. There were seven of us--one shy of four teams--but in retrospect that was just perfect because we were kind of huddling together to mourn the loss of a dear friend who succombed to lung cancer last Wednesday. In a better world he'd have been there with us. But as it was, we each took turns at taking his place. Not that anyone can. :cry:

Snacks and wine were brought by all. First up were two 'whites'. The 2006 Kettle Valley Pinot Gris was the darkest pinot gris I've ever seen--a pale salmon orange in fact, the color that some very old rose champagnes turn. In the nose and on the palate, it was sherried. Strange. Next was a white burg, a 2004 Boillot Chassagne-Montrachet Le Macharelles that was fresh, floral, complex and giving. It will hold at this level for awhile but I can't imagine it getting better than it is right now.

Then a red got opened. I only knew when it went into my glass that it was a zinfandel, so I was pretty shocked when someone said it was a 1990. From Meeker, who I believe is a Sonoma producer, it has aged quite well (at least to a palate that appreciates necrotic wines, most zin drinkers wouldn't be so interested). Lightly stewed berry fruit with spice and a sweetish finish, someone remarked that it was reminiscent of a very mature Rhone.

Next up was the 2001 Nota Bene from British Columbia's Okanagan Valley. Not well known outside of the area, this is possibly BC's most culty cult wine. Produced in teensy quantity and in high demand, when the email goes out announcing availability the wine sells out in less than an hour. Last year, it was just 25 minutes. Made from 46% cabernet sauvignon and the rest merlot and cab franc, this wine is in a nice spot of middle age with secondary development adding nuance to still-primary blackberry and mulberry fruit flavors with cigar leaf tobacco, canned black olive and classic Pac NW green bell pepper undertones. I loved this wine.

What followed is a similar wine from BC's Fairview Cellars. I didn't catch the vintage, but called The Bear, the resemblance to the Nota Bene was obvious, yet every thing that had been great about the Nota Bene was dulled down here by sweet vanilla oak. Pleasant enough, but to borrow an appropriate cliche--no cigar.

The next wine was the 2004 Long Shadows Feather. Made by iconic California winemaker Randy Dunn out of 100% Washington state cabernet sauvignon, the wine's very primary but open and drinkable. Dense black color with black huckleberry fruit on the nose and palate and a LOT of that green bell pepper thing. Interesting and surprising to me that the bell pepper thing was so prominent as it's a fabled characteristic (and some say flaw) of Pacific Northwest fruit that most NW producers are trying to get away from, or at least make a minor player out of as with the Nota Bene, and I saw virtually no evidence of it in any of the wines we tasted last weekend in Walla Walla. Will be interesting to see where this wine goes with time.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: WTN: Afternoon at Chez Spohn

by Mike B. » Sun May 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Jenise, thanks for the notes. Love the Nota Bene. I go in with some friends each year and we split a couple cases from the winery. It's getting pricey though - retails at about $75 here if you can find it.

Any idea where exactly in the Okanagan the Fairview is from? I'd assume either the Black Sage Bench or Golden Mile?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 am

The Fairview is situated in the middle of the Fairview Golf Course near Oliver BC. http://www.gismondionwine.com/article.php?key=287

Also made in small quantity and hard to get. It certaily suffered by being tasted against the Nota Bene. The Fairview was a 2002, I think.

BTW, the normally (fairly) quiet Jenise is a bocce fiend. I think she only lost one game all afternoon and we are still picking the raddled carcasses of beaten opponents out of the undergrowth. Never offer to play bocce for wine with this woman! :mrgreen:

Great afternoon, Jenise and your beef appy was great - you might want to describe it for people.

Until the next match!

The National Foundation announced the following study results on corporate America recreation preferences:

1. Sport of choice for front line workers: BOCCE

2. Sport of choice for supervisors: BASEBALL

3. Sport of choice for middle management: TENNIS

4. Sport of choice for corporate officers: GOLF

CONCLUSION: The higher you are in the corporate structure, the smaller your balls.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 11, 2009 9:47 am

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
So Jenise is a bocce fiend? We have to get her to NY for some petanque, see how she fares with metal balls.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 am

Sorry for the sad news.

Thanks for sharing your afternoon. I always enjoy your perceptions on where wines are going. The great things of the past are often avoided today.

Jason
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 11, 2009 10:20 am

Dale Williams wrote:So Jenise is a bocce fiend? We have to get her to NY for some petanque, see how she fares with metal balls.

My little score card is made for Petanque. Same basic game, different balls. I assume that the petanque balls are made of stainless steel or they'd rust something awful!

Both are great games to play while talking and drinking wine and eating nibblies!

Anyone else recall the "A Year in Provence' episode when the hero (John Thaw - Inspector Morse) takes on the village petanque champion?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 am

Mike B. wrote:Jenise, thanks for the notes. Love the Nota Bene. I go in with some friends each year and we split a couple cases from the winery. It's getting pricey though - retails at about $75 here if you can find it.

Any idea where exactly in the Okanagan the Fairview is from? I'd assume either the Black Sage Bench or Golden Mile?

Isn't it a great wine? Bill cuts me in on his share of the Nota Bene, so I now have three or four vintages of it. The price has been ratcheting right up there: the first year I purchased was around $38, last year I paid $45 and this year $53.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 11, 2009 11:04 am

Bill Spohn wrote:BTW, the normally (fairly) quiet Jenise is a bocce fiend. I think she only lost one game all afternoon and we are still picking the raddled carcasses of beaten opponents out of the undergrowth. Never offer to play bocce for wine with this woman! :mrgreen:

Great afternoon, Jenise and your beef appy was great - you might want to describe it for people.

Beginner's luck. :wink: But I do just *love* games! Put a deck of cards in my hand and I'll never go home.

The appy was slices of rare flatiron steak (Brian Flannery prime beef) nested in 4" lengths of romaine lettuce leaf with crumbled gorgonzola and a very garlicky sun dried tomato/basil pesto. Tasty at room temp, attractive, and easy to eat with one's fingers--perfect garden food and good with red wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Jenise wrote:The appy was slices of rare flatiron steak (Brian Flannery prime beef) nested in 4" lengths of romaine lettuce leaf with crumbled gorgonzola and a very garlicky sun dried tomato/basil pesto. Tasty at room temp, attractive, and easy to eat with one's fingers--perfect garden food and good with red wines.

And you wonder why I was willing to sit out a couple of games (as it happens, next to the platter of steak bits....)

As for the cards, we have been known to retire to the eating area for a restoring game of crib and a snifter or two before once more venturing onto the field of battle. With 7 people it was too much fun to spectate, to be going anywhere else (and besides, you'd probably have caught me skulking off through the rhodos with that platter of Flannery fare under my arm.....)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:And you wonder why I was willing to sit out a couple of games (as it happens, next to the platter of steak bits....)

As for the cards, we have been known to retire to the eating area for a restoring game of crib and a snifter or two before once more venturing onto the field of battle. With 7 people it was too much fun to spectate, to be going anywhere else (and besides, you'd probably have caught me skulking off through the rhodos with that platter of Flannery fare under my arm.....)

Aha! I play Crib! And Bridge and Poker and Canasta and Hand & Foot and I'll even play Crazy Eights and Fish with your children. Oh wait, you don't have children. But yeah re Saturday--couldn't have had more fun than we did. Thanks again for inviting us.