The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My Belloni has a first name... (Zin, Sauternes, Rioja, retailer kudos)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: My Belloni has a first name... (Zin, Sauternes, Rioja, retailer kudos)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:57 pm

Some brief impressions on things I have had recently:

1997 Ravenswood Belloni Vineyard Zinfandel
This is the best Ravenswood Zin I have had in a while. Integrated raspberry and blackberry fruit, subtle earth and mellow tannins with a kick of acidity in the finish. Delicious with our grilled chicken quesadillas.

2001 Chateau Doisy-Daene Barsac
Closed down, but on about day three it showed lovely pineapple, butterscotch and caramel aromas and flavors, vibrant acidity and a surprising freshness that I really appreciated. Tasty, but in need of a 5-7 year nap. Love the acidity! (Maureen Nelson is right, I should be buying Barsac.)

2001 Muga Rioja Selection Especial
Not as woody as its Reserva cousin. The seocnd day showed better things with earth, raspberry and oak coming together in a cohesive package. Needs lots of time, but promising.

And a big high five to Table & Vine for being a really stand up retailer. I bought some 2000 Trimbach Pinot Gris Reserve Personnelle in 375s from them. The first bottle was badly cooked. I called, they opened one in the store and agreed. Bring them back they say. Great job T&V!!!!!! (By the way, there's no way in the world the wines were cooked at T&V. The place is in the low 60s, even in the hottest summer weather.) Kudos again to T&V and Michael Quinlan. (No I don't work there...but I should...hint, hint)
Decisions are made by those who show up