The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Joseph Chamonard Morgon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 Joseph Chamonard Morgon

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 am

2006 Domaine Joseph Chamonard Morgon Le Clos de Lys 12.5%
Chamonard is the only member of the Beaujolais Gang of Five not imported into the US and is poorly distributed even in Paris. He died in 1990 and the wines have since been made by his daughter Genevieve and her husband Jean Claude Chanudet. According to Joe Dressner, Chamonard himself was not a natural winemaker, though he was a close with Marcel Lapierre, but Chanudet is a dedicated follower of Chauvet, the man behind all of them.

Aromas of guava compote, light cherry and some strawberry jam. No sign of church incense, like some of the other Gof5s. Good acidity, stronger than the sweetness before food but well balanced afterwards. With air this blossomed and acquired stronger strawberry and violet tones, becoming very aromatic. In short, a very affable Bojo, a bit light on the mid palate but with a streak of seriousness in the fruit.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2006 Joseph Chamonard Morgon

by Rahsaan » Sun May 10, 2009 10:01 am

Nice. Is Le Clos de Lys a vineyard?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun May 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Nice. Is Le Clos de Lys a vineyard?

Believe so, have never seen any reference to this...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 pm

It seems like there are quite a few vineyards in Morgon that don't get very much attention abroad (or at least in the States). I don't know what their terroir-expression potential is, but I'm all for improving the production (and availability) of specialized Beaujolais!